Best Cheap Eats in SF on a Sunday

Hi all;

Osteria dal Forno is my go to place when cheap eats are called for (say with unemployed friends who still want to pay for themselves).

Any other Italian places in SF that have the same QPR and are not more expensive (not even only 25% more expensive).

What about non-Italian places, other than Chinese restuarants.

Must have vegetarian options, so recommending the House of Tongue Tacos doesn't suit my needs.

Thanks!

Cheers

Beachfan

I kinda like Kasa Indian Eatery, in the Castro. I think the vegan stuff blows, but the meat-filled kati rolls smelled very good. Also, they're very popular. The kati rolls are like $5, or so.

The space itself is cute.

Guest Aaron T
I kinda like Kasa Indian Eatery, in the Castro. I think the vegan stuff blows, but the meat-filled kati rolls smelled very good. Also, they're very popular. The kati rolls are like $5, or so.

The space itself is cute.

I also like this spot. I think the Kati rolls are better than the plates (same ingredients in each but better as a roll than entree style). Website here.

Tommy's Joynt is inexpensive and old school ambiance. Not a ton of veggie options - basically salads or the cheese sandwich.

I like Thai House Express on Geary. price works for you and the food is very good and ambiance is better than standard.

Maybe my mistake was not so much ordering the vegan stuff as ordering a plate. Next time, I'll try a kati roll.

A Japanese place that is open on Sunday is Maki, in Japantown. I tried it with Carrie a couple of times and it was reliably decent. Pretty space, good food, though a little light on the vegetarian options, unless you can eat eggs. However, I think they have this "Sansai Wappa" which is mixed vegetables and mushrooms over rice that is pretty good, and vegan iirc, though that's pretty much the extent of the vegan offerings, iirc. I know this sounds strange, but I really like their rice. Very sticky and very nicely steamed, at least I think so. Might be a little pricier than what you want, now that I think about it, but I'm throwing it out there anyway.

Is Pizzeria Delfina open on Sundays? You could get a decent pizza and Bi-Rite Ice Cream is down the street. Their milk-based flavors are great. Vegan flavor = soy chocolate, last time I checked, and it sucked balls. Scoops in LA has the best vegan flavors. I went to Maggie Mudd on Cortland, and while they have a big selection and even vegan waffle cones, it just doesn't compare. Actually, if Delfina is packed, Arinells is down the street. At $2.75 or so a slice, you could hardly do better price-wise. Ambiance leaves a little to be desired though.

A Japanese place that is open on Sunday is Maki, in Japantown. I tried it with Carrie a couple of times and it was reliably decent. Pretty space, good food, though a little light on the vegetarian options, unless you can eat eggs. However, I think they have this "Sansai Wappa" which is mixed vegetables and mushrooms over rice that is pretty good, and vegan iirc, though that's pretty much the extent of the vegan offerings, iirc. I know this sounds strange, but I really like their rice. Very sticky and very nicely steamed, at least I think so. Might be a little pricier than what you want, now that I think about it, but I'm throwing it out there anyway.

Yeah, Maki is one of the more expensive J-Town restaurants.

Somehow I got the impression that Beachfan was looking for a place for lunch since most San Francisco restaurants are open for dinner (we have more closures on Mondays).

Am I mistaken?