The Breslin

Something I did like about the Sifton review, apart from the bit I wrote, was that he did take account of the overall "proffer" the restaurant makes. I would have expected two stars (definitely from Bruni), and in fact I think there's some two star food here. I think Sifton's view is that a menu of two star dishes, if they all feature copious quantities of meat and fat, can be viewed as a one star menu. And I think he might be right.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I did like about the Sifton review, apart from the bit I wrote, was that he did take account of the overall "proffer" the restaurant makes. I would have expected two stars (definitely from Bruni), and in fact I think there's some two star food here. I think Sifton's view is that a menu of two star dishes, if they all feature copious quantities of meat and fat, can be viewed as a one star menu. And I think he might be right.

There's no doubt at all that if Bruni had written a review with that level of enthusiasm about the food, he would have awarded two stars. It's the clearest demonstration yet that Sifton has yanked the system's center-of-gravity for such places back to one star, where it belonged.

A useful case-in-point is Resto, to which Bruni gave two stars, but which was probably, at its best, never as good as the Breslin.

To me, it's that the menu is both limited and monotonous.

What Sifton suggests is true: there are nights when I could go to the Breslin, but just don't feel like it. That's almost never the case with my other late-night haunts, Ssam Bar and Minetta.

I suppose that explains why Sifton gave DBGB two stars (which remains puzzling to me).

ETA again: I suppose this is what you get for being "meatcentric."

But it's ironic (Alanis Morissette usage). The real problem The Breslin has is that if you're a solo diner (or accompanied by someone squeamish), there aren't enough meat entrees.

Which is why I ended up with the pig's foot as a solo diner. Discounting the burger, the only one person meat options were the beef shin, which I'd eaten before, and vinegared poussin. I am not always in a vinegared poussin mood.

Daisy mentioned the "small" terrine board. I've ordered that too, and it's really for at least two people.

Last night the small terrine board consisted of generous slices of liver pate, headcheese, and three terrines: rabbit, guinea hen and pork. It's a lot of food. With a salad it would make a nice lunch or supper for two people but as an appetizer no way.