The Breslin

Since it was beautiful yesterday I decided to walk home and made it to within ten blocks of my place when the bar at The Breslin beckoned. It was early so I managed to score a seat at the bar but the place was by no means empty and had almost completely filled up by the time I left a little after 6.

I was very pleased to see the bar being manned by Javier, formerly a bar back at Mary Queen of Scots, who did a smashing job of bartending at my Christmas party a couple of years ago. He made me a couple of very good drinks (one comped)-- a 'garden' gin and tonic with Hendricks,cucumber and celery bitters and another terrific house cocktail called a Vesperine which is a blend of gin and manzanilla sherry served up in an absinthe-washed glass. For those who like a slightly bitter flavor profile this is a pretty perfect drink.

The crowd was heavy on the out of towners although the guy sitting next me at one point was a regular. He was replaced by four very pleasant and talkative women from Houston, all involved in the fashion business in some way, and all sporting enough big hair and makeup for a beauty pageant. There were also ten Swedes all drinking beer (thank god I don't have to make them all cocktails said Javier who at this point was still solo behind the bar) and a couple of Kiwis who appeared to be well on their way.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I walked past the Breslin, not to mention John Dory, on my way to Eataly on Wednesday. It occurred to me yet again that I quite liked it--but it just doesn't fit my usual dining requirements.

I walked past the Breslin, not to mention John Dory, on my way to Eataly on Wednesday. It occurred to me yet again that I quite liked it--but it just doesn't fit my usual dining requirements.

Right. The food is pretty good but mostly too heavy unless it's shared as a snack. But for an early drink before it gets too crowded it's a nice place.

That garden G&T sounds right up my alley--is it a standard drink there, or did he make it up just for you, you lucky girl?

I AM a lucky girl, am I not? But that drink along with several other g&t variations is featured in a box on the front page of the cocktail menu. I had actually tried to first order a version using grapefruit bitters but they were out of the bitters and Javi suggested the garden cocktail instead . It was really good, very refreshing.

• 1 year later...

Mr Sutton really likes The Breslin. Three stars.

I had to tweet the following:

...you deign to devour an entire lamb chop as an appetizer, which can feel a bit like sex on a first date; it's awkward at first but once the flesh is in front of you it's hard to say no.

What does this mean?

And neither she nor her business partner, Ken Friedman, are down with modern cuisine's whole time-release gratification thing.

If I may disagree with Mr Sutton, The Breslin is probably the April Bloomfield restaurant that should take reservations.

There are a few fish items on the menu too, and the best one of course is a sausage. The butter-drenched seafood brat is a crack blend of shrimp, scallops and lobster. Testament to Lecki's cooking is how each component sings through with remarkable clarity;

But David Waltuck's is old hat and overly buttered? What am I missing (or misreading) here?

Time-release, to me, seems to connote a tasting menu- type of small (nuanced) courses delivered for a crescendo effect. (I actually prefer this type of eating, since I'm easily bored by big plates of protein, etc.)

Time-release, to me, seems to connote a tasting menu- type of small (nuanced) courses delivered for a crescendo effect. (I actually prefer this type of eating, since I'm easily bored by big plates of protein, etc.)

Yes, I think that's exactly what he meant.