Cheap white bread functions better as a napkin than a tortilla would. Absorbs more grease.

You're expected to eat it? :unsure:

(emphasis added)

the spongy white bread is meant to soak up the grease. it's cheaper than paper napkins, doesn't leave napkin lint on the meat and it doesn't fall apart like biscuits or cornbread.

Ahem. For once, I beat splinky, by two days even. :lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheap white bread functions better as a napkin than a tortilla would. Absorbs more grease.

You're expected to eat it? :unsure:

(emphasis added)

the spongy white bread is meant to soak up the grease. it's cheaper than paper napkins, doesn't leave napkin lint on the meat and it doesn't fall apart like biscuits or cornbread.

Ahem. For once, I beat splinky, by two days even. :lol:

you win!

For the record, at one point, after my commenting on the bread, Jaymes caught me doing what she thought was "kneading" the bread to prepare it for eating. I was in fact very delicately trying to get the grease off my fingers. It's not easy because the bread disintegrates with a mere glance. The huge rolls of paper toweling were a little more effective and actually tastier.

What I loved was the boldness of an obese person walking right up ordering pounds of the stuff and then sitting down to enjoy themselves, with sides and beer. I'm in no position to comment about someone else's weight but I did admire the complete lack of self consciousness. I couldn't do it, despite my ample size and ample desire.

I don't know about tortillas, but I always thought that biscuits would go better with BBQ than the white bread or even the cornbread you are sometimes served.

Yes, but you'd definitely taste and feel and notice the biscuits. The whole point of the white bread is, just as Steve says, that it disintegrates, leaving not much to taste or feel in your mouth but the barbecue.

And, Steve, love the photo of Robbie at the butcher block at Kreuz. Wonderful.

You can't go home again.

Sad attempt at biscuits and gravy. Jaymes' daughter's were much better.

IMG_2439.JPG

Maybe this is why:

IMG_2441.JPG

Jaymes, did she add milk or water to her mix?

These biscuits were "flaky" instead of "Southern".

Still, it was a minor thrill.

First off - wrong biscuits. Don't get the kinds in the "pop open" tubes. You buy them in bags - frozen.

Something like this:

Frozen biscuits

I have to admit that these frozen biscuits in bags are great products and they are light years ahead of the refrigerated "tube" ones. I've made biscuits all my life, with my grandmother's recipe, but mine are not one whit better than these. Another beautiful thing about these frozen biscuits is that you can just pull out one or two and bake them in your toaster oven. You don't have to cook up a whole batch. I strongly doubt I'll ever go back to making my own. We buy "southern style," but the buttermilk variety is good, too. Actually, they're all excellent. One short-cut convenience food that really works.

I'm not sure if she mixed up that packet with water or milk, but I'll ask.

I will say that the only reason she resorted to the packet is because she's a very uncomfortable seven months pregnant and even though she had bought all the stuff to make sausage gravy, she wasn't feeling light enough on her feet that morning to stand there and make it from scratch.

Although I should add that sausage gravy is really pretty easy to make. Get get a good brand of sausage, crumble and brown it in a skillet. Remove most of the cooked sausage, leaving the fat in the pan. Stir in a little flour and brown to a light-to-medium roux. Then add milk and stir and let the whole thing thicken. Return the cooked sausage to the pan and stir it all together. There you go.

I usually decline the bread...I just figured it was intended to function as a utensil.

Smitty's is I think perhaps the best all-round bbq. I prefer the links at Mueller's and the brisket at Kreuz but Smitty's for all-round (though Blacks is a good all-rounder too).

hmm...definitely need to get some this weekend.

I usually decline the bread...I just figured it was intended to function as a utensil.

Smitty's is I think perhaps the best all-round bbq. I prefer the links at Mueller's and the brisket at Kreuz but Smitty's for all-round (though Blacks is a good all-rounder too).

Have you made it out to Llano, to Cooper's?

If so, what did you think of that?

Have you made it out to Llano, to Cooper's?

If so, what did you think of that?

not yet...maybe I'll do that Saturday...though I might go to Houston and go back to Feast and check out Reef and Anvil.

You can't go home again.

Sad attempt at biscuits and gravy. Jaymes' daughter's were much better.

IMG_2439.JPG

Maybe this is why:

IMG_2441.JPG

Jaymes, did she add milk or water to her mix?

These biscuits were "flaky" instead of "Southern".

Still, it was a minor thrill.

She mixes that packet with water.

She added that, in addition to being much easier and cheaper and handier to keep on hand than a pound of sausage, the gravy from those packets is far better for you than sausage and grease and whole milk or cream. Especially if you're going to eat it often.

So buy a bag of frozen biscuits and try it again.

And not to make the packet less healthy, but sausage and biscuits is especially good when topped with grated cheddar cheese and a couple of sliced, pickled jalapenos.

:D

I was just there. Now I feel like I've gotta get right back.

Just ask for the end cut of the brisket. They usually slice that off and reserve it for other uses, since most customers would consider it too charred and fatty. They don't bank on the small, knowing minority who regard "too charred and fatty" as an oxymoron.

Scott

I was just there. Now I feel like I've gotta get right back.

Just ask for the end cut of the brisket. They usually slice that off and reserve it for other uses, since most customers would consider it too charred and fatty. They don't bank on the small, knowing minority who regard "too charred and fatty" as an oxymoron.

Scott

That's a wonderful picture of the burnt ends.

• 2 weeks later...