4 days in Chi-town, culinary focused trip

New Yorker coming to Chi-Town...I think I'm going to spontaneously take a trip with my wife next week to Chicago. First time there. We are both changing jobs, so we have a few days off, probably our last for a loooong time. We want to do Chicago, pretty much just to eat...not worried about many sites or anything, just restaurants.

If YOU had 4 days, where would you go for breakfast, lunch, dinners...I know not much about the area except for places like Bayless's joints, and Alinea, TRU...which I wouldn't mind throwing in to the mix.

A recommendation for a place to stay would be great....I'll spend 500$ on a dinner, but I'll cheap out at a holiday inn express...go figure.

Check in with Vital Information. He can give you some great tips for ethnic eats you might not otherwise find, like a carnitas place. (I might have posted about it somewhere here a couple of years ago.)

And if you like architecture, there is a great AIA place that has exhibits and runs tours. I think it's either on or just off South Michigan Avenue.

I booked Topo on Open Table

violet hour doesn't do ressies and yes they get busy- everyone is seated at tables so sometimes you have a bit of a line to wait in.

Unfortunately no ressys for topo available...the snot who answered the phone just about made me want to hit her in the face with a torta. Took her 4 times and a 'you understand that Topo is a 'fine dining' restaurant right?'...and she still wasn't able to answer my question about ordering the topo menu at Frontera.

Blackbird is great.

Pelican is fun but VERY NOISY!!!!

I only went once to Topo, please post your impressions (mine was poor service, and freezer burned shrimp).

eek, I would like to try both frontera and topo, maybe one for lunch and one for dinner, I can get a topo lunch ressy, perhaps ill do that this way at least I'll be guarenteed at at least one meal from one of the restaurants.

I booked Topo on Open Table

violet hour doesn't do ressies and yes they get busy- everyone is seated at tables so sometimes you have a bit of a line to wait in.

Unfortunately no ressys for topo available...the snot who answered the phone just about made me want to hit her in the face with a torta. Took her 4 times and a 'you understand that Topo is a 'fine dining' restaurant right?'...and she still wasn't able to answer my question about ordering the topo menu at Frontera.

That's gotta be the bitch that made me vow never to return!! I arrive at an 11:30 lunch, the place is EMPTY, they give me the table right by the front door, I ask for a table change, I get a loud sigh, eye roll, very sarcastic snotty comment - FYB!