Sushi Wasabi [LA]

Guest Aaron T

Lunch at Sushi Wasabi today. Sushi Wasabi has long been considered one of the top 2-3 sushi spots in Orange County and is the favorite of many. I wanted to compare it with Shibucho, which I visited last month.

Sushi Wasabi has only one sushi chef, Katsu-san. There are a dozen or so seats at the sushi bar plus tables. There is one waitress. No cooked food or even miso soup is served. The bar is omakase only, tables a la carte. No cut rolls or california rolls. I believe he only makes 3 kind of hand rolls - salmon skin, spicy tuna and blue crab. Like many of its traditional ilk, there are certain standards in the omakase that you will have every time (I went with someone who has been a customer for ~ a decade). These include beginning with albacore sashimi in ponzu sauce and having a blue crab roll early on in the meal.

Katsu-san subbed a spicy tuna handroll for the blue crab roll and it was outstanding, perhaps the best spicy tuna handroll I have ever eaten. No mayo. The nori was very crisp and delicious too. I could have eaten many sheets of it. The albacore was also very good.

Other fish (nigiri) in our meal included yellow tail, both back and belly, halibut, snapper, chopped toro, salmon and ikura. The chopped toro was good (whats not to like about toro) but I find it very odd that this is a signature item. He did not offer sliced toro nigiri, to my knowledge. I like my negitoro in a roll. The salmon roe were marinated and had a nice pop to them.

Overall it was very good but not nearly as good as Shibucho and a tad more expensive as well. In order to serve the room by himself, Katsu-san pre-cuts the fish, which bothers some, including me. I thought that most of the fish, while tasty, was not amazing/special. Also too many courses had ponzu sauce, imo.

Sushi Wasabi is located in a minimall at 14460 Newport Ave, Tustin, CA. Phone: (714) 505-3496

If I was going to be in OC, I'd pick Shibucho 4/5 times. The other time I would want that spicy tuna roll at Wasabi. Might sit at a table and order a few....

Lunch at Sushi Wasabi today. Sushi Wasabi has long been considered one of the top 2-3 sushi spots in Orange County and is the favorite of many. I wanted to compare it with Shibucho, which I visited last month.

Sushi Wasabi has only one sushi chef, Katsu-san. There are a dozen or so seats at the sushi bar plus tables. There is one waitress. No cooked food or even miso soup is served. The bar is omakase only, tables a la carte. No cut rolls or california rolls. I believe he only makes 3 kind of hand rolls - salmon skin, spicy tuna and blue crab. Like many of its traditional ilk, there are certain standards in the omakase that you will have every time (I went with someone who has been a customer for ~ a decade). These include beginning with albacore sashimi in ponzu sauce and having a blue crab roll early on in the meal.

Katsu-san subbed a spicy tuna handroll for the blue crab roll and it was outstanding, perhaps the best spicy tuna handroll I have ever eaten. No mayo. The nori was very crisp and delicious too. I could have eaten many sheets of it. The albacore was also very good.

Other fish (nigiri) in our meal included yellow tail, both back and belly, halibut, snapper, chopped toro, salmon and ikura. The chopped toro was good (whats not to like about toro) but I find it very odd that this is a signature item. He did not offer sliced toro nigiri, to my knowledge. I like my negitoro in a roll. The salmon roe were marinated and had a nice pop to them.

Overall it was very good but not nearly as good as Shibucho and a tad more expensive as well. In order to serve the room by himself, Katsu-san pre-cuts the fish, which bothers some, including me. I thought that most of the fish, while tasty, was not amazing/special. Also too many courses had ponzu sauce, imo.

Sushi Wasabi is located in a minimall at 14460 Newport Ave, Tustin, CA. Phone: (714) 505-3496

If I was going to be in OC, I'd pick Shibucho 4/5 times. The other time I would want that spicy tuna roll at Wasabi. Might sit at a table and order a few....

His Kumamotos are quite good, if you are ever back in the area.

I also liked Shibucho better than Wasabi, mostly for the value factor. I never liked sitting in front of the son though. I absolutely made sure I sat in front of Shibutani-san or else I didn't want to play.

Guest Aaron T
His Kumamotos are quite good, if you are ever back in the area.

I also liked Shibucho better than Wasabi, mostly for the value factor. I never liked sitting in front of the son though. I absolutely made sure I sat in front of Shibutani-san or else I didn't want to play.

I don't eat oysters, so may be missing his best thing. As for Shibucho, I will take your advice. The father is top notch.