Sign in to follow this  
Gomez

Espresso Machines?

What is the failure mode of a PID. My Silvia turns on, the PID turns on, the pump works, but it never heats. Most likely cause is the PID right? Is there some way I can check that? Assume I have a multimeter. Id rather not replace it and discover it's something else - but what else could it be? The element in the boiler?

I think Google should be your friend for that ... or post the question "there" ... where "there" is where your friend shows you to

What is the failure mode of a PID. My Silvia turns on, the PID turns on, the pump works, but it never heats. Most likely cause is the PID right? Is there some way I can check that? Assume I have a multimeter. Id rather not replace it and discover it's something else - but what else could it be? The element in the boiler?

Can you disconnect the PID easily?  I suppose the boiler could fail, but I have no expertise in that.

Did you buy the machine from Dave at HITECH already PID'd? He was always a good source for answering questions.

In NY, the place that's good is Chris Coffee

Multimeter yes, and the part most likely to fail is the solid state relay your PID uses (most likely as in 99%)

p.s. if it's not the pid then second most likely it's the machine's thermostat which iirc you can also test with a multimeter

So after not really being in hibernation for the past however many years, but just sitting on the counter looking forlorn right next to her brother Rocky, who gets used multiple times a day, I wanted to see if I could bring back my espresso game. I decided to not only clean her inside and out, but to change the group head gasket as well...

2012518547_SilviaIMG_1482.jpeg.8bb73c19da0413362e26e7f3d7afe5fc.jpeg

771054379_SilviaIMG_1483.jpeg.fb7e8f91cd2e8d3cf6ae89d62af08284.jpeg

Now, this machine is 12 years old. Granted, it was never used to make espressos all day and night, but nonetheless, 12 years old. That gasket came out fairly easily and was still in good condition, which after everything I'd read, kinda surprised me. But maybe not that much, considering how obsessive I was about cleaning and then refilling the boiler with cool water before shutting down.

All spruced up and ready to go. I tried to pull a few shots - but the coffee I was working with was at the 12 day mark, not roasted for espresso, and let's just say I hope Cespedes is better for the Mets after not playing for 2 years, than I am at making espresso for the first time in 2 years.

830273994_SilviaIMG_1484.jpeg.4e749c140cd3103ee59e6a4fbd971785.jpeg

And tomorrow will be the true test. Because a delivery arrived today...

1315916676_DeliveryDukesCoffee07-02.jpeg.685ba58c35a0078ea0e9414d9bda59de.jpeg

Roasted a mere 2 days ago, from one of my favorite roasters. Looking forward to giving it a shot 🤣 .

Oh, before I decided to jump in and revive the Silvia, I was thinking about "selling" her and upgrading - but upgrading by downgrading to a more forgiving machine (something along the lines of a Gaggia Classic Pro or even the latest Breviile Bambino or Infuser, etc. etc.). Lots of reading (something I have not kept up with is the prosumer espresso world) and there are some new products out there or in the pipeline which look very cool. If Silvia drives me crazy, an upgrade may still happen.

Like - Rancilio is coming out with a double boiler double PID home machine, called strangely enough, the Silvia Pro...

image.thumb.png.def676a5b6c5848240c109dddc0dea80.png

https://www.beanscenemag.com.au/rancilio-silvia-pro/

Grinders are also proliferating, and this Niche Zero sure has some good words being written about it...

image.png.153cf46096c281a0b610af9c69d98e5c.png

Maybe I really do have too much time?