Skiing 2009 - 2010

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

NYT piece refers to some interesting data about skiing injuries.   On a personal note, I just bought some trail-breaking X-C gear this year. The backcountry X-C gear has come a very long way since

Slow start to the ski season this year.

But I did notice a NYTimes slideshow of old ski photos mostly from Vermont. Going through the show, when I got to this photo I thought of GG's posts about skiing at Stratton.

What a great photo.

I skipped another season last year, but I'm determined to get back at it this year. I even bought new ski pants (so if we get no snow and the season is a bust, everyone can blame me). I have all the free time in the world right now, but the conditions are dismal. Maybe after Christmas.

Last season was a banner year for me. Lots of snow and cold weather for local XC skiing. A trip to Kirkwood near Tahoe between Christmas and New Years with huge snowfalls. My normal trip to Alta in January with friends. And then a trip to Park City / Deer Valley with my dad where we had about 24" over the three ski days.

This year looks like it won't be nearly as good. My only trip to the mountains will be a February road trip to CO for three days of skiing. Not sure where we are going to go. Either Breckenridge or Winter Park.

Right now, we've got a cabin booked in the north woods of MN between Christmas and the New Year and I'm not even sure the lakes will be frozen. May have to bring hiking shoes and leave the snow shoes behind.

• 2 months later...

This year looks like it won't be nearly as good. My only trip to the mountains will be a February road trip to CO for three days of skiing. Not sure where we are going to go. Either Breckenridge or Winter Park.

This is not a good snow year for the Colorado Rockies but the ski areas are open. We planned a three-day trip based at a borrowed ski condo in Silverthorne.

Skied one day at Breckenridge. High winds made it very cold. I know people love this place but it was a tough day for all of us.

Skied two great days at Copper Mountain. Ridge winds were still high but we found the mountain better protected than Breckenridge. Made it into Copper Bowl for a few runs. Our second day at Copper there was about 6 inches of new snow and some sun making it the best of the three days. Spent some time in the trees off the Timberline lift.

Ate are really great Fat Tuesday dinner at the Lost Cajun in Frisco. Simple food that was well done. Chicken and sausage gumbo was very satisfying after a day on the slopes.

• 9 months later...

Interesting feature story in the NYTimes about the February 2012 Tunnel Creek Avalanche on the backside of the Stevens Pass ski area in Washington.

SnowFall: The Avalanche at Tunnel Creek

As the writer correctly notes, you do not find safety in numbers when skiing out of bounds. And when enthusiasm trumps caution bad things can happen.

Strangely, after reading that I have the itch to head to Utah and ski (inbounds).

• 1 year later...

Ski Magazine posted the 10 best ski areas in the East and 10 best in the west for snow quality. (Click)

Not surprising that Utah has 5 of the top 10 in the West and #1 is Alta, UT.

I have a weekend in February penciled in for a long weekend this year. I can't wait.

We have good snow here right now but it has been an incredibly cold December. Tomorrow I hope to get out in the skinny skis for the first miles of the season.