Sometimes I click onto a google search item only to be redirected somewhere with a box saying I've got a virus and I can get a free scan. I can click "Scan" or "Cancel" (or some form of those two), but even if you click "Cancel", it goes ahead and "scans" your computer.

Whenever I see this, I quickly close my browser to stop the scan. Is this enough to prevent the virus from uploading to my computer? I use AVG Free, and it has never found any viruses or trojans on my system, so I assume I'm OK, but I'm always a little wary.

I ran AVG and nothing turned up, and I also ran AdAware and my system was pretty clean.

I also tried to download another virus protection program, and could do it (iirc Security Tools prevents you from installing any new anti-virus programs), so I think closing the window as soon as Security Tools starts running the scan is a good way to prevent downloading the whole thing.

MY laptop has been invaded by security tool.It has taken over all the programs,except explorer.It does not allow the use or the download of any anti virus removal software.Actually whenever i have tried,a blue screen appears that the computer has to be shut down for self protection.Security tool is a bogus system that seeks to extract money from you in order to get rid of the malware.

What's amazing is that i had a similar invasion a few weeks ago on my desktop computer. The invader was "security central".

The only way to get rid of it is to take the computer to some one with the means to clean it.

Avira was my antivirus protection.OBviousely it was ineffective.

SO BE AWARE THAT THERE IS AN ONGOING THREAT THAT'S QUITE VIRULENT AND I DON'T KNOW HOW IT COULD BE STOPPED.

So I wish you all, a happy new year with no such problems.

MY laptop has been invaded by security tool.It has taken over all the programs,except explorer.It does not allow the use or the download of any anti virus removal software.Actually whenever i have tried,a blue screen appears that the computer has to be shut down for self protection.Security tool is a bogus system that seeks to extract money from you in order to get rid of the malware.

What's amazing is that i had a similar invasion a few weeks ago on my desktop computer. The invader was "security central".

The only way to get rid of it is to take the computer to some one with the means to clean it.

SO BE AWARE THAT THERE IS AN ONGOING THREAT THAT'S QUITE VIRULENT AND I DON'T KNOW HOW IT COULD BE STOPPED.

That's horrendous, Pierre.

Are you running windows and internet explorer, or a different combination of platforms?

That's horrendous, Pierre.

Are you running windows and internet explorer, or a different combination of platforms?

Yes I am running window XP with internet explorer.

Also Sohos is the antivirus protection on my laptop,which obviousely was ineffective.

There is a way to get rid of it yourself, but you have to have the confidence to delete registry keys without worrying about if you're going to f*** up your system. And you can download and install necessary anti-virus stuff if you immediately stop the process related to the Security Tools virus by going into the Task Manager, or so I read.

I read a lot about how to fix it yourself, but I was fortunate not to have needed the knowledge. A friend recently downloaded security tools virus somehow, and she has not yet gotten her computer fixed. It's a big PITA.

There is a way to get rid of it yourself, but you have to have the confidence to delete registry keys without worrying about if you're going to f*** up your system. And you can download and install necessary anti-virus stuff if you immediately stop the process related to the Security Tools virus by going into the Task Manager, or so I read.

I read a lot about how to fix it yourself, but I was fortunate not to have needed the knowledge. A friend recently downloaded security tools virus somehow, and she has not yet gotten her computer fixed. It's a big PITA.

Firefox has a "privacy option" which disables the Active-X function necessary for programs like Security Tools to operate. Even when microsoft or adobe download patches, etc. Firefox asks me if it's OK to execute the program. Sometimes it's a pain, but I've been able to stop a number of unwanted actions.

Victor, What did your technical guru tell you as to how you became infected?

I was told that you can get the virus from many sources I.e emails,opening a file from google search,etc.

They said its new and bypasses many installed anti virus system.

I tried to delete it in a safe mode from my registry and various files.It was well hidden and I was not succesfull

I am glad that not too many people on this board have been affected so far.