Terror Attempt on Delta Flight

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The local TV reports indicate much more stringent examinations for security at LaGuardia and Newark airports this morning. People are snaking out of one terminal in the line for security checks.

That really makes sense. :unsure: :blink:

The local TV reports indicate much more stringent examinations for security at LaGuardia and Newark airports this morning. People are snaking out of one terminal in the line for security checks.

One report on NPR this morning seemed to indicate the suspect had been through three airline checks prior to boarding the Delta / Northwest flight. Once in Lagos (which has just passed a US security audit), a second one entering the EU, and a third one prior to boarding the US bound flight.

I agree, certainly shows lack of training on the side of his senders. Nude travel is in our future.

What's important though is that while this guy was preparing for his display of incompetence, the DHS was busy installing signs in all US airport security lines saying something about Venezuela giving them the finger.

Looks like the TSA has issued a new rule. It prohibits passengers from leaving their seats during the last hour of travel, even for access to the overhead bins, etc.

For a while after the attacks of 2001, there was a prohibition against leaving your seat during the final half hour on flights into Washington Reagan or some flights into the NY airspace. That sort of disappeared after a while.

I wonder how the rule against items on laps will impact on infants carried and held by passengers? Airlines have been trying for years to require that the infant be in his or her own (purchased) seat.

Air Canada said in a statement Saturday that new rules imposed by the Transportation Security Administration limit on-board activities by passengers and crew in U.S. airspace.

The airline said that during the final hour of flight passengers must remain seated. They won't be allowed access to carry-on baggage or to have any items on their laps.

New rules

There may also be a second search of passengers bound for the US at the departure gate. American Airlines also states that the one carry on item rule has been reinstated. More fee revenue from checked bags. :)

Edited by Rail Paul

I recall that last week, as I was queuing at the farcical operation that passes for "security" at Newark Airport, I complained to the security guard that requiring all passengers to remove all footwear for X-ray was a waste of time. "You're checking for last year's security threat, not today's" I said. His sole contribution to the debate was to say "Take your shoes off, sir" :lol:

This latest incident makes my point, and the response to it is as inadequate and irrelevant as it was last time, and the time before, and the time before that. The response is designed to do nothing but to mitigate potential lawsuits, and to avoid the accusation of "doing nothing".

The extent to which this form of terrorism has succeeded is to burden every air traveller with massive costs and irritations, and to distract governmental resources from more important tasks. And that is indeed a crucial gain for the terrorists.

One report on NPR this morning seemed to indicate the suspect had been through three airline checks prior to boarding the Delta / Northwest flight. Once in Lagos (which has just passed a US security audit), a second one entering the EU, and a third one prior to boarding the US bound flight.

the suspect's father appears to have reported his concerns to authorities weeks ago

I recall that last week, as I was queuing at the farcical operation that passes for "security" at Newark Airport, I complained to the security guard that requiring all passengers to remove all footwear for X-ray was a waste of time. "You're checking for last year's security threat, not today's" I said. His sole contribution to the debate was to say "Take your shoes off, sir" :lol:

This latest incident makes my point, and the response to it is as inadequate and irrelevant as it was last time, and the time before, and the time before that. The response is designed to do nothing but to mitigate potential lawsuits, and to avoid the accusation of "doing nothing".

The extent to which this form of terrorism has succeeded is to burden every air traveller with massive costs and irritations, and to distract governmental resources from more important tasks. And that is indeed a crucial gain for the terrorists.

You're right.The whole thing is meant for the average citizen .They feel safer ,assuming that the government protects them.

Unfortunately.Its difficult to safeguard against any future new approaches by determined Bad guys.Actually this is nothing new.They have always existed;e,e the anarchists ,etc.However ,the mindless bureaucracy is not very effective either.

the suspect's father appears to have reported his concerns to authorities weeks ago

Shucks! What can you do if you don't know the exact date and flight number in advance?