As I start to bake more and more, I've been dreaming about owning a Kitchenaid mixer. For example...this weekend I made a pumpkin brioche and a loaf of bread. In fact I haven't bought bread since this summer - instead I'm making my own. (ok it's no knead but I plan to branch out) And of course I'm making souffles, cookies, etc... which could all be made easier with a Kitchenaid mixer.

So here are my issues:

-- If I bake more, I'll eat more sugary, buttery, goodness.

-- Where the hell will I put it?

-- They're damn expensive, even on eBay. Can a deal be found? Should I just get married so I can put it on my registry?

-- Chad's experience

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe I should break ours, my grandmother's small, boring model from the late 1980s. My mother's was much cooler-looking, probably from the early sixties, but corroded from at least twenty years of ne

Lucky for me, thanks to my having built up a good number of contacts after several years as a peripheral member of the fine-arts community, I just got off the phone with Dia Beacon, which has agreed t

Posted Images

As I start to bake more and more, I've been dreaming about owning a Kitchenaid mixer. For example...this weekend I made a pumpkin brioche and a loaf of bread. In fact I haven't bought bread since this summer - instead I'm making my own. (ok it's no knead but I plan to branch out) And of course I'm making souffles, cookies, etc... which could all be made easier with a Kitchenaid mixer.

So here are my issues:

-- If I bake more, I'll eat more sugary, buttery, goodness.

-- Where the hell will I put it?

-- They're damn expensive, even on eBay. Can a deal be found? Should I just get married so I can put it on my registry?

-- Chad's experience

If most of what you like to bake is breads I'd skip it if space/money are an issue. I have one and as I become a more experienced bread baker I find myself using it less and less. When I stroll around the bread fora a lot of the poster there seem pretty disdainful of mixers, and at first I thought they were just being typical obsessives, but now I sort of see their point.

About the only thing I make these days purely in the kitchenaid is pizza dough. all the other breads I knead myself after pulling the dough together in the KA.

That said I use the Ice Cream maker a bunch during the summer, the meat grinder often enough I'm glad I have it, and the mixer itself is invaluable for the few times a year I make cookies and cakes (Xmas and birthdays - I'm not a big sweets person)

Long-story short - if you view it as a tool for baking only its not worth it, if you also view it as a power source for a bunch of tools I think its worthwhile.

Look for a reconditioned one to minimize cost, but even that isn't cheap.

I agree that they are built-to-last, but I think that kneading a bread dough ball is asking a lot from a mixer. Irregular forces like you get when that dough-hook spins around and slaps the dough are not very friendly to bearings and gears. Use your hands for that.

I still find lots of uses for my 16 year old KA mixer and wouldn't want to give it up.

I've had mine for almost 15 years and one of the best things I bought for it was a second bowl and the plastic tops for them. Every now and then there is a recipe that requires multiple components -- like Julia Child's flourless chocolate cake -- which has a whipped cream component and a whipped egg component. Great to not have to empty one part of the recipe into another bowl to prepare the other part of the recipe.

My 23 year old KA spent the first 3 years of its life being used every day in our restaurant. It certainly doesn't get that kind of a workout any more. But, it is still works just as well as it did in the beginning.

I find that if you're apt to use your kitchen in Maxed-Out Mode, cooking all kinds of different things at once, a standing mixer is a must, if only because you can switch it on to blend or mix one thing while you walk away to tend to another. And yes, yes, a thousand times yes to a second bowl.

I MUST get one of those scraper attachments.

i love mine, it serves me well and sits out on my countertop, with my processor and blender, so that i will actually use them. i don't really use it for bread and i tend to like to mix cake batter by hand unless it's a huge amount or i am multi-tasking, though it's turning out to be an important tool for gluten free baking. i really, really want one of those scraper paddles and will likely buy a few attachments this year as i am eating fewer processed foods and am too old and frail to be working up a sweat int he kitchen. you gotta get a second bowl. the latest anniversary edition hads a glass bowl. i wish i had a tilt head instead of a lift so that i could have a glass bowl.

I love my KA. We got it at a kitchen supply store that has a special arrangement with the company to sell promotional versions, ends of lines etc. so it was quite affordable. It lives on top of my baking station. I rarely if ever use it for yeast breads, but still use it a lot for cakes, cookies, quick breads etc. We also use the grinder attachment fairly often for homemade sausage. I have the lift model and prefer it to the tilt for space reasons, although, as splinky says, this limits me to a metal bowl until someone clever devises a liftable glass bowl. I keep meaning to buy a spare bowl. I also belong to the ranks of people who want to buy a scraper.

To all of you who want scrapers: they do work very well but you might want to be sure that you have a pouring shield in place when you use it. I think it tends to make additions of flour much more exciting.

To all of you who want scrapers: they do work very well but you might want to be sure that you have a pouring shield in place when you use it. I think it tends to make additions of flour much more exciting.

The pouring shield is also a must, with or without the scraper (one of which I am going to acquire one of these days.)

The pouring shield is also a must, with or without the scraper (one of which I am going to acquire one of these days.)

Hmmm... I got one with my set and ended up discarding or losing it, finding it got in the way too much.