Half Day in Chicago?

Next week i'm going for a business trip to Lisle (about 30miles from Chicago) for two days. Thinking of flying a day earlier to do some sightseeing and lunch/dinner. Like Millenium park and whatever Bayless's establishment. I'll have a car. Any suggestions around modern architecture/sculpture are greatly appreciated. I'd love to try Publican.

I love walking tours of the architecture within the loop, but it's not the amount of time, but the weather that would stop me.

My favorite three buildings = The Rookery, a Franklin Lloyd Wright masterpiece; The Chicago Board of Trade, Art Deco gem, and the Marquette building, fabulous Tiffany mosaics above the elevators. Better yet, the best features of these are all indoors! They are not to far from each other.

Publican is very good but very noisy. My favorite place is Blackbird (common ownership I think). Publican is very noisy. Blackbird isn't quite either. Blackbird is BYO friendly.

great suggestions! I plan to park on one of the parking lots suggested by the Art Institute web site and hopefully walk from there...

On the food front it seems like all of Bayless's restos will be closed. And i've just heard about Purple Pig - any opinion?

I did the Architecture Foundation's Art Deco tour. It was wonderful; I learned so much. There was a woman with our tour (not the guide) who had written a book (tome) about architecture in Chicago, too, so it was even more enlightening than usual. Lots of walking, though, so if it's rainy, snowy, windy, or just very cold, it might not be very pleasant.

If you want Mexican, I'd go to Nuevo Leon. It's not really downtown, but it's about 10 minutes or so from the Foundation by car, and there's parking 1/2 block east in a free lot--not a garage, but not on the street, either. But if you go, go during non-peak hours or you'll wait a long time. They're open 7am to midnight. http://www.nuevoleonrestaurant.com/

• 1 month later...
I did the Architecture Foundation's Art Deco tour. It was wonderful; I learned so much. There was a woman with our tour (not the guide) who had written a book (tome) about architecture in Chicago, too, so it was even more enlightening than usual. Lots of walking, though, so if it's rainy, snowy, windy, or just very cold, it might not be very pleasant.

If you want Mexican, I'd go to Nuevo Leon. It's not really downtown, but it's about 10 minutes or so from the Foundation by car, and there's parking 1/2 block east in a free lot--not a garage, but not on the street, either. But if you go, go during non-peak hours or you'll wait a long time. They're open 7am to midnight. http://www.nuevoleonrestaurant.com/

IF you go to Nueve Leon, you could also go to the Mexican Fine Arts Center.

• 4 months later...

This writer suggests a visit to the Billy Goat Tavern, located under Michigan Avenue. The bar was long the office of writer Mike Royko and many members of the publishing media.

The Billy Goat placed "the curse" on the Cubs in its sacred precincts. The Goat's long gone, I guess, and the Cubs haven't won a world series since then. Perhaps they should borrow a tip from the Red Sox, and dig up the goat to offer apologies and respect.

(The allusion is to the Boston Red Sox, another hard luck long time no win team. Supporters retrieved one time Red Sox star Babe Ruth's piano from a pond, and restored it to playing order. Other supporters bought the hated contract selling the babe's contract to the Yankees, and BURNED it. The Red Sox won the world series one year later...)

I try to slice into an Italian beef sandwich — heavy on the giardiniera — then a couple of double cheeseburgers at the White Castle.

But there is so much to see and do. I’m always taken aback by its offerings.(snip)

Not far from the Trump Tower sits the Billy Goat Tavern. You won’t find it if you’re walking along one of Chicago’s main streets, Michigan Avenue.

Reporters still hang out here.

It’s under the street. No kidding.

The Goat is a media hangout, so I always go by to pay my respects. When the famous newspaper columnist Mike Royko was alive, you would often find him here, holding court. Back in the day, if you didn’t agree with a column he had written, he’d try to convince you with a compelling argument.

Reporters like dark, cave like places that serve beer

• 2 months later...

Going to Chicago on the 27th for a one day round table recap of the Chase Giving contest. All expenses paid, how could I say no? I'll arrive at the Hampton Inn Majestic around 10:30. Since I don't have a commitment until that evening, I thought of going to the Art Institute for a few hours. Any ideas for a great lunch in the area?

That evening is dinner with the other winners and Chase people. I won't eat much of the banquet food: I thought of catching a cab after the meal and going to Publican for some bar food. It's less than 2 miles away.

Is this the best use of my precious few free hours? If I can squeeze in two good meals and some culture, it will be worth it!!

Going to Chicago on the 27th for a one day round table recap of the Chase Giving contest. All expenses paid, how could I say no? I'll arrive at the Hampton Inn Majestic around 10:30. Since I don't have a commitment until that evening, I thought of going to the Art Institute for a few hours. Any ideas for a great lunch in the area?

That evening is dinner with the other winners and Chase people. I won't eat much of the banquet food: I thought of catching a cab after the meal and going to Publican for some bar food. It's less than 2 miles away.

Is this the best use of my precious few free hours? If I can squeeze in two good meals and some culture, it will be worth it!!

Depends on what you like, but I love the Art Institute. When I was in college & driving from St. Louis to Ithaca, I used to take a few hours every year to go see the Monets there. They have two of my personal faves in their collection, in add'n to some of his best water lily canvases. It was worth the extra time to me.

I didn't get back there again until 2002. The paintings were still wonderful. No ideas for great lunch food. We took to the museum cafe, which as I recall had some sort of decent sandwich & a fabulous view up the lake shore. Gave us more time for other parts of the Instutute.

For lunch, Tony Mantuano (Spiaggia) has a restaurant in the modern wing of the Art Institute (Terzo Piano). I've heard mixed things, but the setting is gorgeous. You could also do The Gage, which is close on Michigan Ave. and is more of a gastropub. The same people that own The Gage also own Henri which is right next store and is more traditional French. I haven't been but early reports are very good.

The Publican is always a good call. Without a doubt my favorite Kahan restaurant.

Thank you for these suggestions! I am delighted to have them. Will use them next week.

A chef friend in Austin knows the chef at Blackbird and wants to get me in on Tuesday night. I'm kinda torn because the Publican menu is more appealing to me as a late night option...