NY Times.com to become a pay site

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New York magazine reports that the NYT will announce its decision to convert to a metered (pay) site within the next few days. One source believes the NYT will also announce a favorable pricing conce

also when they shrunk it, they didn't make sure the columns lined up for the traditional style of folds, anymore. my high school commute was soooooo long that i had time to read the nyt and the wsj an

It's much more convenient.

I just did an experiment. In a private browsing session I was able to open 15 articles with no problem. The site stopped me at #16 and said I had to subscribe. I closed down the private browsing session and then started another. The clock was reset and I opened 5 new articles before I stopped.

i've tried to pay, but the cognitive dissonance - i have to pay more to have an online-only subscription vs having online + something delivered to my home - always keeps me off it.

I've had to explain to more than one overnight visitor why I still get this paper delivered that I throw out every morning.

It IS crazy.

I just did an experiment. In a private browsing session I was able to open 15 articles with no problem. The site stopped me at #16 and said I had to subscribe. I closed down the private browsing session and then started another. The clock was reset and I opened 5 new articles before I stopped.

It must sense that I am a very very honest person who would feel terribly guilty for trying to subvert the system, so it stops me before I cross that line.

Plus my life just sucks that way.

It must sense that I am a very very honest person who would feel terribly guilty for trying to subvert the system, so it stops me before I cross that line.

Plus my life just sucks that way.

See Lex? It works!

Maybe that's their strategy.

The cost of a digital subscription is not completely trivial - $15 a month to read the Times on a computer and smart phone. $180 a year. They ratchet that up to $35 a month ($420 a year) to add access on a tablet. Why reading the Times on a tablet should cost twice as much as on a phone or laptop is a mystery to me.

Digital subscriptions

the cost is actually $16 a month for either option. here's how: get the Sunday paper home delivered and all the digital access is free. $16.40 per month. (this is the one I have). or you can get the M-F paper home delivered and all the digital access for free. $16.20 per month. they have some sort of weird yield pricing going on if you do a digital subscription.

eta: I suppose the difference is that the home delivery subscription gives them much more ad revenue.

I think you might be on to something with that idea of higher ad revenue on the print version. It would explain a lot.

Otherwise the pricing model makes no sense. Why charge less for a product which costs money to print and distribute unless there are other factors involved.

Maybe that's their strategy.

The cost of a digital subscription is not completely trivial - $15 a month to read the Times on a computer and smart phone. $180 a year. They ratchet that up to $35 a month ($420 a year) to add access on a tablet. Why reading the Times on a tablet should cost twice as much as on a phone or laptop is a mystery to me.

Digital subscriptions

the cost is actually $16 a month for either option. here's how: get the Sunday paper home delivered and all the digital access is free. $16.40 per month. (this is the one I have). or you can get the M-F paper home delivered and all the digital access for free. $16.20 per month. they have some sort of weird yield pricing going on if you do a digital subscription.

eta: I suppose the difference is that the home delivery subscription gives them much more ad revenue.

This is what we do. Sunday only delivery for $16.40.

My sources tell me that it's working. That is, the meme that you should be willing to pay for the newspaper on a tablet / pc nearly as much as you would for the paper version seems to have crossed the critical point. Time for some Korbel at nyt headquarters.

• 4 weeks later...

Since I haven't been able to delete the stuff after the ? in order to read unlimited articles, I've been using links from Google Reader to read since it has let me read as many articles as I want.

Last week, it stopped letting me do that. I got 10, and that's it. Not just "that's it for this session", but I'm guessing "that's it for the rest of the month."

Private browsing, whether using IE or Firefox will let me read 10, but then I have to shut down the browser and start all over again. Not a terrible thing, but it's annoying.

But Twitter--for whatever reason, you can click on all the links the NYTimes posts in Twitter, and it will never stop you from reading. For now,anyway. This could change soon and unexpectedly, like everything else.

• 1 month later...