New Brooklyn Cuisine

Screw him and the horse he rode in on. Does he also think uptown Manhattan would be better off if it were still filled with 19th century mansions instead of apartment buildings? However bad the new developments might be, they're surely not worse than the hideous, tiny three-story buildings on Bedford right now.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Although this topic is often discussed here, there isn't a separate thread for it.   As I contemplate trying to have dinnner at Brooklyn Star -- even though chances are I will have to go back to Ma

Well, the great thing about Brooklyn is that it's a far better place to live than Manhattan. And now we don't have to commute to Manhattan in order to eat food that isn't red sauce Italian or pink ta

Put those goal posts back.     I am not talking about bars which are good, not that good, and bad. I am talking about bars with extensive beer lists*, even if the bar is a dump. I have a dol

I thought that when I complained about neighborhoods changing I was told to just suck it up because all the mom & pop places were going out of business anyway and cities change, that's what they do.

I thought the Jane Jacobs thing was mostly about mixed-used neighborhoods being replaced by unlivable single-use areas that then fall apart. I was under the impression that the only reason you see the kind of development pattern that you do in Williamsburg is because the only option for new development there is to build luxury complexes on the waterfront.

There's a balance. Everyone wants to be in that gentrification sweet spot that can't possibly last. The WV seems to have done things well - some really itneresting modern buildings on the West Side Highway and on the main streets, historically protected brownstones elsewhere. And just because a building is seen as ugly or outmoded now, doesn't mean that we should be quick to tear it down.

The objection is more that they have an FAR of like 3 than that they're ugly per se. And a major contributor to the "gentrification sweet spot" thing is that the supply of housing in hot neighborhoods is so inflexible.

• 2 weeks later...