New Brooklyn Cuisine

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Although this topic is often discussed here, there isn't a separate thread for it.   As I contemplate trying to have dinnner at Brooklyn Star -- even though chances are I will have to go back to Ma

Well, the great thing about Brooklyn is that it's a far better place to live than Manhattan. And now we don't have to commute to Manhattan in order to eat food that isn't red sauce Italian or pink ta

Put those goal posts back.     I am not talking about bars which are good, not that good, and bad. I am talking about bars with extensive beer lists*, even if the bar is a dump. I have a dol

I'm taking a trip in the Wayback Machine. I used to go to Dunkin in high school - there was a branch near the place I worked after class. Then, years later when I worked in the Met Life building one of our vendors would show up with a giant box of donuts once a month before a meeting and I found I still liked them. That was in the early 1990s and I haven't had them since.

Sigh. I expect if I try one now there's a 95% chance I won't like it.

I've always really hated donuts, but as an outside observer it doesn't seem like dunkin donuts has done anything in the krispy kreme model to promote freshness, better quality ingredients, seasonality, etc. Then again, everything I know of that chain is from living in Rhode Island in college and/or airports.

Are you counting Shake Shack and the like as fast food?

Anything that requires a 30 minute wait on line can't be considered "fast."

Actually, I've never had a Shackburger. The line deterred me at the original location and now that they're opening branches all over the place I'm still not motivated. I really prefer the heftier pub style burger to the fast food style model.

I really ought to give it a try. Most of these new locations have very short lines - it will be interesting to see what the fuss was all about. Here's a CH post from 2006.

Joy: I'm seated on a bench in Madison Square Park, adjacent to the now stilled fountain at the entrance closest to the SE corner of 23rd and Madison.

I am in a reverie on this Spring-like day openly daydreaming and watching the utterly confused birds and passersby as they wonder what's happening with the weather. The park is in it's late Fall glory and all is right with the world.

Just then I remember to look down toward my lap. Oh my gawd, I almost forgot. There staring back at me, adorned beautifully in the greenest green lettuce and the reddest red tomatos, crowned with the most golden cheese and surrounded by the most succulent bun is the juiciest, saltiest, most delicious burger on the planet - the Shack Burger.

I slowly consume what turns out to be my last such burger of the season. I devoutly chew every bite while wiping away the tear at the corner of my eye. I will miss this little burger, maybe more so than anything else I can can think of at the moment. We've had such a meaningful realtionship over these past 8 1/2 months. I was so hoping it would go on forever. But that is not to be. I am sad now. I walk slowly away from this revered corner, alone in my thoughts, not to return until next Spring.

Sorrow: Shake Shack closes tomorrow, Dec 1. Will not reopen until mid-March 2007.

Should I be excited this Australian surfer is coming to Reynard?

I'm a child of the '90s, so I can't help romanticising the conjunction of 'bistro' and the '11e', but I'm not altogether certain Bones sounds like my sort of cooking. [And, jah, I hate, hate the name... unless it's inspired by the Bones Brigade.]

Edited: 'Expect loud music and plenty of youthful eastern Paris attitude.' Feels rather... Brooklyn. And there's kale!

Mmm, Au Passage sounds familiar...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From Talia Baiocchi's new magazine, which I believe just launched at The NoMad tonight.

The design duo the Haslegrave Brothers unwittingly perfected the Brooklyn aesthetic.

For some reason reading that sentence nearly made me sick.

There was this: 'Brooklyn has reintegrated the parts of Manhattan to which it relates best. Projects like Paul Liebrandt’s shiny Williamsburg hotel restaurant The Elm, the Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare (a $225 prix-fixe affair that disallows short sleeves in the dining room) and Blanca'.

I dunno if Brooklyn is relating to The Elm, but on Friday the diners seemed the most, er, 'Brooklyn' in their visible aesthetics than on any previous visit.

Say what you will about all of those tattooed servers wearing navy skull caps, but there's no denying that hipster haunts have improved the quality overall in the restaurant scene. These are the venues that list the provenance of their pigs, that purchase produce grown on Greenpoint rooftops and that can tell you all about their oysters' "merroir" (yep, that's the shellfish version of terroir)

No, it's just a silly made-up word.

This topic certainly came up in the hipster thread. There's an act of faith that surrounding a product with the right kind of discourse will guarantee its quality. We've seen many counter-examples (Mast Bros, anyone?), and there are plenty of non-hipster food and restaurant operations which maintain high standards of quality.

I think the consensus was that overall the hipster twaddle has had beneficial effects.