New Brooklyn Cuisine

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Although this topic is often discussed here, there isn't a separate thread for it.   As I contemplate trying to have dinnner at Brooklyn Star -- even though chances are I will have to go back to Ma

Well, the great thing about Brooklyn is that it's a far better place to live than Manhattan. And now we don't have to commute to Manhattan in order to eat food that isn't red sauce Italian or pink ta

Put those goal posts back.     I am not talking about bars which are good, not that good, and bad. I am talking about bars with extensive beer lists*, even if the bar is a dump. I have a dol

And it isn't close; but the question is loaded, because it assumes--and maybe rightly so--that those are the sole alternatives.

It also assumes that there hadn't been any improvement in restaurants until the hipsters got off the bus from Indiana. That's not the case at all. Hipsters co-opted existing trends and then fetishized them

And it isn't close; but the question is loaded, because it assumes--and maybe rightly so--that those are the sole alternatives.

It also assumes that there hadn't been any improvement in restaurants until the hipsters got off the bus from Indiana. That's not the case at all. Hipsters co-opted existing trends and then fetishized them

I'm not sure that's true.

What's an example of a trend they've fetishized?

...would you rather have the Brooklyn/Parkdale/14th Street/Mission/Mile End/Somerville/Wicker Park/Silver Lake dining scene pre or post hipster? It's not even close.

Would you rather have the Lower East Side pre or post Starbucks? It's not even close.

Right. I don't care about the alternative, I care about the objective reality, and the objective reality is that cities that had hipsters move in to culinarily bereft areas saw those areas turn into some of the best food areas in the city (with the flaws, limitations and issues that we discuss here). Perhaps there exists, in some coiled universe, a world where Brooklyn and Parkdale are cultivated by wealthy Parisians or Japanese but, as it goes, there's a pretty clear pattern here, across cities, across the world.

Local and seasonal. Ask Alice Waters who borrowed it herself.

(I know the fetishization line is an oversimplification but come on, this is an argument with Adrian.)

I can easily separate the two. There's the process, then there's discourse that surrounds it. You can have the same process with a different discourse.

You're surely not suggesting that nobody can make, or source, artisanal mayonnaise, without growing a beard, getting a tattoo, opening a store in East Bushwick, and talking about honoring the whole egg?

But then it's a different discourse. The discourse you're talking about - the flannel without the urban farming - doesn't really exist. So you can have the same process with a different discourse, but you can't have the hipster discourse without the process being a part of it.

I can easily separate the two. There's the process, then there's discourse that surrounds it. You can have the same process with a different discourse.

You're surely not suggesting that nobody can make, or source, artisanal mayonnaise, without growing a beard, getting a tattoo, opening a store in East Bushwick, and talking about honoring the whole egg?

But then it's a different discourse. The discourse you're talking about - the flannel without the urban farming - doesn't really exist. So you can have the same process with a different discourse, but you can't have the hipster discourse without the process being a part of it.

I thought one Alleve was going to be enough until I read this.

(I know the fetishization line is an oversimplification but come on, this is an argument with Adrian.)

because Alice Waters wasn't once a hipster?

Hippie.

because Alice Waters wasn't once a hipster?

Hippie.

People were annoyed with the beards and tie-dye in Berkeley as well. It's kind of unfair to just blame them for those weird things that young people do that annoy older folks and not credit them with Chez Panisse. But sure, you didn't have to be a hippie to be young and open up a good restaurant