New Brooklyn Cuisine

Also, just to state the obvious with respect to this being some PR-driven phenomenon:

This is a style that I (and I'm sure the other Brooklyn residents posting here) noticed years ago. It's not like I read that New York piece and thought, "oh, there's this new restaurant trend in Brooklyn that I have to find out about." Rather, I read that piece and thought, "this is a fairly good statement of what I've been noticing for years." (I even maintain that they stole the line about Franny's being "a New Brooklyn Restaurant masquerading as a pizza parlor" from me, as I'm sure I wrote it online before they used it.)

So speaking for myself, I wasn't led by the media to conclude that this style existed. I perceived it for myself. As I keep saying, I can't believe its existence (as opposed to its quality or importance) is controversial.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Although this topic is often discussed here, there isn't a separate thread for it.   As I contemplate trying to have dinnner at Brooklyn Star -- even though chances are I will have to go back to Ma

Well, the great thing about Brooklyn is that it's a far better place to live than Manhattan. And now we don't have to commute to Manhattan in order to eat food that isn't red sauce Italian or pink ta

Put those goal posts back.     I am not talking about bars which are good, not that good, and bad. I am talking about bars with extensive beer lists*, even if the bar is a dump. I have a dol

Other evidence of the existence of NBC as a style is that Wilfrid, Adrian, and I can all agree that Adrian was mistaken to have included Saul on the NBC list. We wouldn't all be able to tell that Saul doesn't fit in if this wasn't some existent style we're talking about.

Funnily enough, I read back over the list to which I was making additions, and noted I haven't been to the majority of the places. But I have walked by and peered in and read enough menus that the phenomenon seems entirely concrete to me.

Roberta's for example. I haven't been, although I've eaten pizza from there, ordered by a bartender I know who was insistent I should try it. But look at the menu: other than the pizza, it's all rock'n'roll offal - brains and tripe - and the pizzas have names apparently from death metal albums and they bake their own bread in the pizza oven.

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, you may be in the presence of a duck.

...and then there are all the places doing pickling and butchery as hobbies. And then there are bars which express a similar aesthetic, and some of which serve food. I don't think Spuyten Duyvil serves food, but it's part of this trend.

Ah, yes. I recently watched something about how they make an entire jar of pickles (or sauerkraut) for the amazing price of $3 (labor is free, of course), which they suppose is the price of a single pickle.

...and then there are all the places doing pickling and butchery as hobbies. And then there are bars which express a similar aesthetic, and some of which serve food. I don't think Spuyten Duyvil serves food, but it's part of this trend.

Ah, yes. I recently watched something about how they make an entire jar of pickles (or sauerkraut) for the amazing price of $3 (labor is free, of course), which they suppose is the price of a single pickle.

I still don't get it. The point isn't whether any of us thinks it's intelligent. The point is whether it exists.

Also, just to state the obvious with respect to this being some PR-driven phenomenon:

This is a style that I (and I'm sure the other Brooklyn residents posting here) noticed years ago. It's not like I read that New York piece and thought, "oh, there's this new restaurant trend in Brooklyn that I have to find out about." Rather, I read that piece and thought, "this is a fairly good statement of what I've been noticing for years." (I even maintain that they stole the line about Franny's being "a New Brooklyn Restaurant masquerading as a pizza parlor" from me, as I'm sure I wrote it online before they used it.)

So speaking for myself, I wasn't led by the media to conclude that this style existed. I perceived it for myself. As I keep saying, I can't believe its existence (as opposed to its quality or importance) is controversial.

Can you show me where you and others posted about this style before the NY mag piece?

I dunno, but somehow a storefront house-making porchetta or house-grilling sausages made by a butcher (not in his house, I hope), or house-plancha-ing arepas is just that in New York, but a house-smoked meat shop is NBC in Brooklyn.

Like a 12 dollar plate of pasta with butter and sage..