New Brooklyn Cuisine

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Although this topic is often discussed here, there isn't a separate thread for it.   As I contemplate trying to have dinnner at Brooklyn Star -- even though chances are I will have to go back to Ma

Well, the great thing about Brooklyn is that it's a far better place to live than Manhattan. And now we don't have to commute to Manhattan in order to eat food that isn't red sauce Italian or pink ta

Put those goal posts back.     I am not talking about bars which are good, not that good, and bad. I am talking about bars with extensive beer lists*, even if the bar is a dump. I have a dol

It's kind of fascinating that the more you read about the fall of the American empire, the more everyone you talk to in Europe (Paris most of all) wants to move here.

Young Parisians are enamored of the informality of New York-style noshing. “We see it on all the police shows on television,” said Sophie Juteau, who was among the first in line for Le Camion Qui Fume’s dinner shift. “Eating from the ice cream trucks, the hot-dog carts: that is, like, our dream.”

That's why I linked the Eater blurb and not the article. I don't see how it's particularly related to Brooklyn, either.

So you linked to a blurb because it made a point you liked, when the underlying article that was being blurbed made the opposite point of what you wanted to make?

I see. Lawyers.

It took me three years of highly precise training to get to that place.

See in this case the error was the underlying documents were actually pretty easy to read.

I guess I need to keep this in mind when I deal with my hideously expensive but very nice lawyer

Young Parisians are enamored of the informality of New York-style noshing. “We see it on all the police shows on television,” said Sophie Juteau, who was among the first in line for Le Camion Qui Fume’s dinner shift. “Eating from the ice cream trucks, the hot-dog carts: that is, like, our dream.”

I'd be happy to give them our restaurants, if I could have theirs.

Surely they can be forgiven for being young and unenamoured with the trappings of formality? And if nothing else, Brooklyn seems to be a lot cheaper than Paris (though maybe we only ate at expensive places).

Surely they can be forgiven for being young and unenamoured with the trappings of formality? And if nothing else, Brooklyn seems to be a lot cheaper than Paris (though maybe we only ate at expensive places).

It's not about formality, but about being stuck.

• 3 weeks later...

I like 1 or 8 . Good food and service, and it's very pretty. Not cheap.

There are three dollar signs attached to every review i read about the place. however, it says there is a 45 dollar omakase. I still can't figure that out. I paid 70 dollars for two lousy plates of pasta and a salad last night, to me that was expensive.

I can't comment on the cooked food or table service since we only had sushi and sashimi. (The sushi/sashimi omakase is $60/$80/$100, btw, I didn't notice a $45 option)

They use very good fish (seemed like mostly from TWF/Tsukiji Express) cut a bit weird (like those pencil erasers), and the rice was a little on the bland and cold side, but of very high quality. I think I'll need to go back to figure out how I feel about it, but it is good sushi.

Service style is a bit assholistic and pushy on booze but nothing too bad.

• 4 weeks later...

I was gonna put in the "Hooters" thread, and say that that's a neighborhood where the addition of some national chains might be a positive.

But then I thought I was being randomly cruel. The fact is, if all those places are telling the truth about their egalitarian door policies, I think that's a real plus in New York nightlife -- and exactly why I choose to live in Brooklyn.

I was gonna put in the "Hooters" thread, and say that that's a neighborhood where the addition of some national chains might be a positive.

But then I thought I was being randomly cruel. The fact is, if all those places are telling the truth about their egalitarian door policies, I think that's a real plus in New York nightlife -- and exactly why I choose to live in Brooklyn.

There's discrimination and then there's discrimination, I'll believe it when I see it.