I met the Anvil guys at Tales so I was expecting something decent but still had my socks knocked off by how good Anvil is. They're in the same echelon as PDT, D&C, Cure etc. Seriously. Can't say enough about how good this bar is.

what's amazing is that the cocktail scene in Austin and Dallas is worse than pathetic. (there a few new places in Austin that have people excited. they're basically all awful. the standard technique...dump a bunch of St. Germain into a drink, add a base spirit. get rave reviews. put some classics on the menu and have no clue how to make them. but the joints themselves all "look" good.)

but Anvil is really really darn good and serious about the craft.

Anvil is really really darn good

Nathan, Lower Westheimer is an amazing melange of a broad cross-section of food/wine/beverage/clothing/entertainment/etc./etc. establishments, including some of the finest of the finest.

Mark's Restaurant and DaMarco Restaurant are two of the finest. And Feast is pretty good also!

Anvil is really really darn good

Nathan, Lower Westheimer is an amazing melange of a broad cross-section of food/wine/beverage/clothing/entertainment/etc./etc. establishments, including some of the finest of the finest.

Mark's Restaurant and DaMarco Restaurant are two of the finest. And Feast is pretty good also!

Yes, I've eaten at Feast twice and really enjoyed it!

what's amazing is that the cocktail scene in Austin and Dallas is worse than pathetic. (there a few new places in Austin that have people excited. they're basically all awful. the standard technique...dump a bunch of St. Germain into a drink, add a base spirit. get rave reviews. put some classics on the menu and have no clue how to make them. but the joints themselves all "look" good.)

I've had some trouble finding good cocktails in Austin. All the places I've been too are still on the apple-tini and fancy margarita kick. You're lucky to find St Germain LOL

Actually, had a really super Corpse Reviver II at Annie's downtown this past week. Peche, Fino & Eastside Show Room are getting good props as well.

I've had some trouble finding good cocktails in Austin. All the places I've been too are still on the apple-tini and fancy margarita kick. You're lucky to find St Germain LOL

Actually, had a really super Corpse Reviver II at Annie's downtown this past week. Peche, Fino & Eastside Show Room are getting good props as well.

The Thirsty Texas is responsible for the menu at Annie's Downtown...it's a tiny menu but they're generally doing things properly. Fino as well except their palate is a little sweet for my tastes. Places like the Belmont and Lambert's are trying but not anywhere near there. There is this new gastropub just across 35 that's getting all sorts of press buzz for its cocktail program. The drinks are awful. Like pathetically bad. Plenty of classics on the menu but their execution is awful. And their house drinks are all lots of St. Germain and add a base spirit with no balance.

Any other Houston recs? I've got buds there all next week and would love to hook them up.

If they don't eat steak for half of their evening meals they will not be allowed to return home.

That should not be a problem. But I will need them back home. :)

Thanks, Peter -cameramen looking for good food, not too fancy or pricey. Authentically Texan, I guess!

Where are they coming from Liza? New York?

I've been pretty delighted with Hugo's. It's upscale interior Mexican. My favorite Mexican dish - Chiles en Nogada - is hard to find in the US. And they make a spectacular one. I went to Hugo's for their famous Sunday Brunch Buffet a few weeks back. Commented to my waiter that I had hoped for Chiles en Nogada. Even though it was not on offer that day, he arranged for the kitchen to prepare one for me at no additional cost.

El Tiempo often gets mentions as best TexMex in town.

Chacho's is a popular hangout, open 24 hours, pretty good Mexican, lots of food for very little money. For $10, I can get more than I can possibly eat in one sitting.

For authentic working-class Mexican, specializing in seafood, I like Ostioneria Mar Azul on Bellfort.

As for that other Texas icon, barbecue, they might have to take a road trip to find the very best.

There's good Chinese here and, as I've seen some reports that Houston has the second-largest Vietnamese population in the nation, excellent Vietnamese.

There's good Chinese here and, as I've seen some reports that Houston has the second-largest Vietnamese population in the nation, excellent Vietnamese.

Very good Vietnamese indeed. Though you can get more of a hole-in-the-wall feel in the Vietnamese mall restaurants in the area south of I-10 and the West Beltway, I love everything about Mai's Restaurant. It can be very busy but it's worth a bit of a wait.

Fadi's is excellent Syrian(ish) food that is set up sort of like a lunch counter. Very reasonably priced. There is more than one Houston location but the one I usually go to is on Westheimer.

I'll second Jaymes' recommendation for Hugo's.

Peter -cameramen looking for good food, not too fancy or pricey. Authentically Texan, I guess!

Liza, Wow! You have not narrowed the field. There are so many places to recommend in different geographic areas of Houston.

Qin Dynasty

Vietopia

Prego

El Meson

Armando's

Goode Company BBQ

Goode Company Seafood

Goode Company Tacqueria and Hamburgers

Molina's

Pesce

Reef

Avalon Grill