Apple tablet announcement imminent

The major thing wrong with that article is the premise that the reader already has an iPhone (or other portable email device) and a Kindle.

I think that's a correct premise for Apple's target market. Maybe I'm missing something but why would you buy one of these instead of a netbook or a Macbook Air?

Because it's our mac duty

Comment from an Apple fanboy on the NY Times blog -

I have been following this long awaited announcement for a long time. I can hardly wait to see what Steve Jobs has in store for us now! my first apple device was the iPhone and now all the members of our family have one and love them! Whatever Steve Jobs announces we have already decided we are going to buy it, apple sells quality quality. we think its going to change the way we look at all aspects of reading, gaming, etc with this new device. we live in a small town in rural alaska and our iphone puts us in touch with the world and with family. yes i can say i am more then excited over this and can hardly wait to see what Mr. Jobs brings forth. Thank you Apple for your innovative ideas, for your quality products. we will be watching from Alaska!!!!
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently.

A long touch on the back button will pull up a list of your history. Lex' suggestion upthread is another way: create a bookmark from the new content page and then it's two clicks (the bookmarks icon a

The major thing wrong with that article is the premise that the reader already has an iPhone (or other portable email device) and a Kindle.

I think that's a correct premise for Apple's target market. Maybe I'm missing something but why would you buy one of these instead of a netbook or a Macbook Air?

not a fanboy - at all, I sort of don't get this, but to answer why not a Macbook air - gotta be price. Netbook - functionality

Because it's our mac duty

Comment from an Apple fanboy on the NY Times blog -

I have been following this long awaited announcement for a long time. I can hardly wait to see what Steve Jobs has in store for us now! my first apple device was the iPhone and now all the members of our family have one and love them! Whatever Steve Jobs announces we have already decided we are going to buy it, apple sells quality quality. we think its going to change the way we look at all aspects of reading, gaming, etc with this new device. we live in a small town in rural alaska and our iphone puts us in touch with the world and with family. yes i can say i am more then excited over this and can hardly wait to see what Mr. Jobs brings forth. Thank you Apple for your innovative ideas, for your quality products. we will be watching from Alaska!!!!

Wow! That's impressive because most alaskans are watching Russia

not a fanboy - at all, I sort of don't get this, but to answer why not a Macbook air - gotta be price. Netbook - functionality

$1,500 for an Air. That doesn't leave much room to avoid cannibalizing Air sales while still delivering the usual healthy Apple profit margin.

NPR had a piece about this yesterday. Apparently Gates has something somewhat similar in mind? Meanwhile sales of the Google phone are not significant. The way I got it from the guy on NPR was that you would have several of these tablet things laying around in different rooms of your house and just pick one of them up to get data, info, calls, send e-mails, whatever as you need to.

$1,500 for an Air. That doesn't leave much room to avoid cannibalizing Air sales while still delivering the usual healthy Apple profit margin.

The Air has problems. It is great when I travel, but it does not run multiple applications well without overheating.

Steven P. Jobs says the tablet device, which will start at $499, will fill a gap between laptops and smartphones.

Why am I thinking of Zeno's Paradox here?

You got lowballed. The one people are going to want costs $829.

Mr. Jobs says Apple has met its cost goals: The iPad’s pricing starts at $499. (Which means, at the very least, there is little reason to buy the much more limited Amazon Kindle DX.)

For $499, you get you 16 GB of storage, with WiFi built-in. For $599, you get 32 GB of storage. For $699, you get 64 GB of storage.

The 3G models cost an extra $130 each.

So all told, there are six models of the new iPad. The most eexpensive 64 GB model, with 3G, costs $829 plus the monthly charge.