g.johnson

Apple tablet announcement imminent

The major thing wrong with that article is the premise that the reader already has an iPhone (or other portable email device) and a Kindle.

I think that's a correct premise for Apple's target market. Maybe I'm missing something but why would you buy one of these instead of a netbook or a Macbook Air?

I've been toying with the idea of buying a Kindle or equivalent for a while. This fills that need* plus it'll handle email and browsing. So instead of taking 5 books and a laptop on vacation, I can just take this.

*Still a bit heavy at 1.5lb.

The major thing wrong with that article is the premise that the reader already has an iPhone (or other portable email device) and a Kindle.

I think that's a correct premise for Apple's target market. Maybe I'm missing something but why would you buy one of these instead of a netbook or a Macbook Air?

I've been toying with the idea of buying a Kindle or equivalent for a while. This fills that need* plus it'll handle email and browsing. So instead of taking 5 books and a laptop on vacation, I can just take this.

If you're viewing it as a laptop replacement you'll need the optional keyboard. And the optional screen holder while you're typing.

ETA - I'm not joking. In the Times live blog they mentioned that these accessories would be available.

If you're viewing it as a laptop replacement you'll need the optional keyboard. And the optional screen holder while you're typing.

ETA - I'm not joking. In the Times live blog they mentioned that these accessories would be available.

No, not a laptop replacement but an ebook reader that'll let me browse the internet and do email.

Right. I got a very small, very light full-featured laptop a few years ago, which I thought I'd use in place of a smart phone (which I don't have because I hate the dinky screens and keyboards). But I find I don't: it's just too much of a process to take it out of the case, power it up, log on, have it load, etc. It's still too much a computer.

I can see the usefulness of this iPad.

I'm not going to rush out and get one. But I can see the usefulness of it.

ONLY if you don't already have a smart phone, though.

I'm still stuck on it being called the iPad :blink: Seriously? There are no women working at Apple??

lsjU0K8QPhs

Post of the day, Sneak! :lol:

I'm still stuck on it being called the iPad :blink: Seriously? There are no women working at Apple??

You would have preferred uPad?

I am not sure what this is for, but where should I stand in line to get it?

I will sell you my place in line.

i'm almost up to the cash register, so please buy my place in line.

Steve Jobs said it's the most phenomenal experience you've ever had. You can touch the web with your greasy fingers!

Steve Jobs said it's the most phenomenal experience you've ever had. You can touch the web with your greasy fingers!

but what if i'm wearing gloves?

you can use the tip of your tongue and lick it.

As usual, the first generation will stink but will still be well ahead of the competition due to a hardware advantage (low power consumption video processor). By the time others catch up, the product will be much better and they can run it on commodity hardware. Hopefully the economy supports yet another $2000/year device.

Of course the MetaFilter folks are having a heyday with this thing. It's a huge thread and I'm just skimming, but my favorite comment so far:

I kinda kept hoping Steve would walk up on the stage, scream "PSYCH!!!", and then walk off silently.