Apple tablet announcement imminent

As so often, reality absolves us of any obligation to do comedy.

Nicknamed "the iPod on steroids..."

...the new Apple iPad is being billed as a popular smartphone for your lap.

(it) has the features of its popular cousin, the iPhone

Cruel.

you can manipulate with your fingers

iPud.

It's unbelievably great. Way better (than what you bought yesterday)

It's basically just a big iPod Touch

Yeah.

people are a little disappointed

from $500 to $800

I wish I was a stand up comic, because there is an hour, right there, pure gold.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently.

A long touch on the back button will pull up a list of your history. Lex' suggestion upthread is another way: create a bookmark from the new content page and then it's two clicks (the bookmarks icon a

it's aimed at the high school / college textbook market, squarely, and may hit there, but otherwise meh

Here's the thing. Any device that's big enough to display the Internet and movies in a satisfying way is also too big for most people to carry around. Now if you're a student who's already lugging around text books it's a different story. I don't know how the fact that lots of students already own iPhones will affect sales of the iPad but it's certainly a factor.

The other point that's been made is that this is a consumption device, not a creation device. You watch movies, you view different web sites, you read books. People aren't going to be doing too much writing on this thing because of that virtual keyboard. In some cases that will work fine but in others it will be a limitation.

No camera, no phone. I'll bet they show up in the next version.

it's aimed at the high school / college textbook market, squarely, and may hit there, but otherwise meh

Right. So when the kids get bored during lectures they can check their email, download some new tunes, and map their route to Daytona for spring break.

Right. So when the kids get bored during lectures they can check their email, download some new tunes, and map their route to Daytona for spring break.

they can do that through their dead trees textbooks already.

I'll probably get one but not right away. Most of my interest is how it can help my photography. An SD card slot would make things easier, but it will be nice to review images in the field on a screen that's several times larger than the camera's lcd without having to lug a laptop.

With the iPhone app DSLR Remote, you can shoot tethered into a laptop using the iPhone as a remote. I'm hoping I can shoot directly into the iPad and use that display instead of the lcd.

I'm thinking of starting a poll where we can vote on the first MF member to buy one of these. My money is on Carolyn.

Not this time. Truth be told, this one doesn't even intrigue me. I had a Newton and it was a beautiful thing (way back when). But I can't see this fulfilling any need that has yet to be defined that my other devices don't fulfill.

if i had more money i would get the basic one. i use my laptop to browse the web and check email while lying on the couch. i would do it a lot more if my laptop didn't weigh 6-7 pounds. and it's perfect for travel--5-6 pounds less to carry on my shoulder. but i can't afford to spend $500 for these functions. but i'm sure a lot of people can.

if i had more money i would get the basic one. i use my laptop to browse the web and check email while lying on the couch. i would do it a lot more if my laptop didn't weigh 6-7 pounds. and it's perfect for travel--5-6 pounds less to carry on my shoulder. but i can't afford to spend $500 for these functions. but i'm sure a lot of people can.

It is a lot to pay for a device that nobody really needs.

If it helps me get work, it will be easy for me to rationalize. For instance, I'd love to have my photo portfolio with me all the time. I can think of several situations in Dublin in the last few weeks where having my portfolio may have led to a sale, or in one case, a impromptu critique from Ireland's greatest living photographer. He's 84, so having him look at photos on my iPhone didn't seem right.

there was a picture of the iPad and the HP Slate(?) in the FT today that reminded me of how much apple has impacted the aesthetics of consumer electronics. When the iPod came out it look like nothing else on the market - now everything tries to look apple-y. My Kindle looks like an apple product as well. I wonder if this is the end?

If it helps me get work, it will be easy for me to rationalize. For instance, I'd love to have my photo portfolio with me all the time. I can think of several situations in Dublin in the last few weeks where having my portfolio may have led to a sale, or in one case, a impromptu critique from Ireland's greatest living photographer. He's 84, so having him look at photos on my iPhone didn't seem right.

An excellent example of a niche application and I'm sure there are lots of others. I just wonder whether if you add lots of these together they add up to something big.

there was a picture of the iPad and the HP Slate(?) in the FT today that reminded me of how much apple has impacted the aesthetics of consumer electronics. When the iPod came out it look like nothing else on the market - now everything tries to look apple-y. My Kindle looks like an apple product as well. I wonder if this is the end?

I'll admit that part of my decision to get a MacBook Pro was the way the thing looks. It's beautiful, as far as laptops go.