So I had one of those bagels they truck in from Montreal at the Brooklyn Flea yesterday.

With cream cheese, good tomatoes (IT'S AUGUST!), upon which they sprinkled salt with ostentatious care, onions, capers, and excellent smoked salmon.

It was different from a New York bagel. More compact, crunchier. It seems like it was enhanced, rather than hurt, by toasting.

I liked it.

Call me pisher.

Exactly. Montreal bagels are spectacular when very, very fresh and otherwise need to be "revived" in the toaster. Importing them from Montreal does seem kind of ridiculous though - any competent baker should be able to make a reasonable facsimile.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't been, but two points:   1. The "Wilensky" is named after Wilensky's Light Lunch, a small diner on St. Viatuer made famous by Mordecai Richler in The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz. The s

branded as 'McGill Dills'

Bermanoff to start making (not importing) New York (not Montreal) style bagels.

With a former sous chef from Torrisi in tow, Mile End turns into a restaurant in the evenings:

menu

Again, somewhat emblematic of just where we are now: cholent, chopped liver and knishes alongside fried green tomatoes

Cholent for dinner? Better they sleep alone.

As a radish freak, I'm really curious if anyone knows what the "Shmaltzed Radish" on the menu is. Would it be bread smeared with schmaltz and topped with grated raw radish? Or perhaps some kind of confit of radish?

Would you also be curious about the gefiltefish with lime and radish dressing at the new pan-Jewish restaurant Octavia's Porch? I know I am! :)

As a radish freak, I'm really curious if anyone knows what the "Shmaltzed Radish" on the menu is. Would it be bread smeared with schmaltz and topped with grated raw radish? Or perhaps some kind of confit of radish?

Would you also be curious about the gefiltefish with lime and radish dressing at the new pan-Jewish restaurant Octavia's Porch? I know I am! :)

You bet! It includes horseradish as well.

Aren't you excited by the veggie-mazzoh lasagna? :barf:

The first time I brought the then-girlfriend who would eventually become my wife home to my parents, my mother, suspecting something was up, pulled out all the stops. She invented a dish in which gefilte fish patties are suspended in lemon jello molded into the shape of a fish, with a layer of creamed red horseradish layered on the top.

My then-girlfriend was dumbfounded.

My mother, OTOH, probably could have passed the recipe on to Nikki Cascone.

The first time I brought the then-girlfriend who would eventually become my wife home to my parents, my mother, suspecting something was up, pulled out all the stops. She invented a dish in which gefilte fish patties are suspended in lemon jello molded into the shape of the fish, with a layer of creamed red horseradish layered on the top.

And to think we were worried about Saddam's WMDs.