KGB & L'Agrume in Paris

Recently I had dinner at these 2 restaurants and Mets Gusto,touted as the best 2009 bistrot by Pudlo guide .It was an excellent way to see the difference between the good and the lousy.Tells you that guide books are not always reliable

KGB(6th arrondissement).The name stands for kitchen gallerie bis .Its an offshoot of Ze kitchen by its chef W Ledeuil.Its very well done fusion cuisine, the inspiration is modern french with asian influence.The result is delightful such as the appetizers of 4-5 small mouthfuls,followed by wild duck with various cooked vegetables.Count on spending around 50 a la carte.

L'Agrume(5e arrondissement).Small and new in 2010, and one of the best family run restaurants.Mme is the hostess and Mr is the chef,working in an open kitchen.I opted to sit at the counter overseeing the kitchen and conversed with him while he was cooking.Nothing was precooked and it was done in front of you.

I opted with the tasting menu ,consisting of 5 plates.I started with oysters cooked with foie gras,a wonderful combination ,followed by an el dente fish risotto and then by roasted rouget with fenouil to die for.The last dish was brochette de caille with sweet onion and raisins.Deliceous ,despite the fact that i hate onions.

Panacotta of fruits rouges ended this amazing meal.Total cost 35 euros.An unbelievable bargain.

I am sure that in the future it will be very difficult to get a reservation

Recently I had dinner at these 2 restaurants and Mets Gusto,touted as the best 2009 bistrot by Pudlo guide. It was an excellent way to see the difference between the good and the lousy.

Thanks for the good info on KGB and L'Agrume, Pierre. But it would be helpful if you also commented on your disappointing meal at Mets Gusto. FWIW, here is Mets Gusto's company line.

Recently I had dinner at these 2 restaurants and Mets Gusto,touted as the best 2009 bistrot by Pudlo guide. It was an excellent way to see the difference between the good and the lousy.

Thanks for the good info on KGB and L'Agrume, Pierre. But it would be helpful if you also commented on your disappointing meal at Mets Gusto. FWIW, here is Mets Gusto's company line.

I had lunch with a foodie friend of mine at Mets Gusto's. Actually it was his suggestion.I started with poulpe and needed a loupe to find the pieces,followed by st jacques,which was not bad but not worth the money.This is a pretentious place with very little merit.

• 10 months later...

An example of how most Parisians only see Euros these days when they dine out.

L'Agrume is a simple, middling home cooking restaurant with a strong Italian bent (you wouldn't know it because Parisian food writers wouldn't know an Italian from a bar of soap - not even the industrial strength espresso maker, Italian charcuterie, risotto, gorgonzola tells them it's French-Italian). There's a lousy, cheap, dinner option at 37 Euros for five courses*, but a la carte it really isn't cheap (gram per gram it's cheaper to get Bar de Ligne at Le Duc, and it's not overcooked like it is here). The hostess is hot and smiles a lot, but the quality of the ingredients is mediocre, the cooking boring and bland, and the wine list ridiculous.

* of course five courses that add up in weight to two and a half courses from the carte and that are served in about 90 minutes.