But that's not safe. I actually travel with an instant read thermometer and make sure USDA norms have been hit on every item I eat. No pink for me.

Surely you're not arguing that rare steaks are unsafe? If Minetta is using in its burgers the same beef that many restaurants serve as steak—which I believe it is—then why would a pink burger be any less safe than a pink steak?

Now, surely you're joking, right oakapple?

Hmm...seems half the people believe Anthony Bonner was joking, and half believe he was serious.

No, no, I know (now) that A.B. was joking. I was directing my comment to you, oakapple, regarding your question about the difference between steak and ground me (for which Stone provided an excellent primer).

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coming soon from Keith McNally, in a space on the Bowery. With chef Nate Appleman, recently of San Francisco.

1. It's a pizzeria, not Corton.   2. There is such a thing as overkill. *Two* stories in one day about pulling down the plywood screening fits that definition.

Yes, your meals make that whole corner irrelevant.

Surely you're not arguing that rare steaks are unsafe? If Minetta is using in its burgers the same beef that many restaurants serve as steak—which I believe it is—then why would a pink burger be any less safe than a pink steak?

Because the bacteria is on the outside of a steak and is killed on the grill. When the meat is ground, the bacteria is spread throughout the inside of the burger and only killed if the inside is raised to an appropriate temperature.

That sounds like bad news for steak tartare.

Because the bacteria is on the outside of a steak and is killed on the grill. When the meat is ground, the bacteria is spread throughout the inside of the burger and only killed if the inside is raised to an appropriate temperature.

That sounds like bad news for steak tartare.

Oh, but haven't you heard? The raw egg yolk that you mix in helps kill the stray germs.

Tartare isn't a reasonable comparison unless a restaurant is grinding their own burger meat. It's about provenance. If you feel you're in a clean restaurant, both should be fine. (These letter grades might help us all make determinations about that.) And like Stone said, unground beef from the butcher-whoever he is--is safe once its exterior has been raised to appropriate temperatures. It ground beef from the butcher that I get nervous about.

Tartare isn't a reasonable comparison unless a restaurant is grinding their own burger meat. It's about provenance. If you feel you're in a clean restaurant, both should be fine. (These letter grades might help us all make determinations about that.) And like Stone said, unground beef from the butcher-whoever he is--is safe once its exterior has been raised to appropriate temperatures. It ground beef from the butcher that I get nervous about.

Right.

And I might not order beef tartare at a restaurant twice if, on the first time, it arrives as ground beef.

Wasn't entirely serious about tartare. People really get nervous about ground beef?

Sure, and at the same time they're happy to eat far riskier products such as raw lettuce :lol:

Ned, I'd be really excited to see data on the correlation between restaurant "health" inspection grades and the incidence of illness from consuming raw meat or other foods.

Wasn't entirely serious about tartare. People really get nervous about ground beef?

I don't know if people do, but I do think they should think twice. Many people think that ordering a rare burger (which genuinely does gross me out) is the same thing as ordering a rare steak. It's not.

I don't know if people do, but I do think they should think twice. Many people think that ordering a rare burger (which genuinely does gross me out) is the same thing as ordering a rare steak. It's not.

Ned as Orik alluded to your risk of food borne illness is much greater from uncooked veg then it is from meat. Additionally if you are avoiding things like industrial burger patties the risks become even more skewed towards the lettuce on your burger making you sick not the burger. Now this doesn't mean I'm gonna eat raw ground beef from the grocery store (which I generally don't buy anyway - hell I might not eat the grazin' angus pre-ground stuff raw) but I'm not gonna treat it like its hazardous.

The US government's approach to food safety is fucking idiotic. But hey keep cooking that Pork to 180.

I'd appreciate seeing data on illness caused by eating rare burgers at nyc restaurants.

there are no survivors therefore there is no data

(That was a joke.)

Could you be Chambolle's translator, too? I get lost a lot reading his stuff.

I recently had a very nice (and pizza-free) lunch here. A salad of roasted sugar snap peas and hen of the woods with crisped breadcrumbs, shaved fennel and parsley was excellent; the sweet peas and fennel were well-complemented by the meaty mushrooms. A small order of semolina gnocchi contained seven dumplings, crisp without and creamy within, nestled in a cocotte with just enough of a mild tomato sauce with a few bits of chicken in it. It had been run under the broiler and finished with a bit of parmigiana. Delicious and not the least bit stodgy as gnocchi can sometimes be. Portions are large, I took half the pea and mushroom salad away with me. Very good cappucino, too. Service was very friendly and competent.

I for the most part eat my meat rare.. If I am making any meatloaf of burgers, I taste the mixture.. Taste to the point where I normally prepare myself at least a healthy toast or two.. Though, I would never buy ground beef from anyone other than a butcher.. Certainly not a Florist.. I rarely each chicken and when I do, I handle it like it's freaking toxic waste..

Though, I suffer from several mental issues, I have never had food poisoning.. Except from a cucumber sandwich,at the Ritz, in England.. Damn vegetables.