Ten most mispronounced food words

Sake? Really?

And apparently, the writers of the article don't know how to pronounce it, either.

(that being said, many people can't hear the difference between IPA [ɛ] and [e] in that position, anyway)

Clearly I need to refresh myself on pronunciations. What's the correct way to pronounce Sake?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sake? Really?

And apparently, the writers of the article don't know how to pronounce it, either.

(that being said, many people can't hear the difference between IPA [É›] and [e] in that position, anyway)

Clearly I need to refresh myself on pronunciations. What's the correct way to pronounce Sake?

The final "e" is pronounced like the "e" in "kelp", not like a long "a". Most native English speakers can't hear the difference between those sounds in most Japanese words, but Japanese people can.

If you're familiar with IPA, [sakɛ] is correct, [sakeɪ] is what most native English speakers think is correct, and [saki] is what a lot of people say.

In hiragana, you can more easily see the difference even if you don't read the script. The correct pronunciation is さけ but the pronunciation in the article would be written as さけい.

please don't make me call you all on your outrageous pronunciations of everything on an indian restaurant's menu.

Four argy bargy for the table, two chicken farl extra 'ot, two pill-ow rice and six pints of lager, and can we 'ave some more puppudums?

i don't know how to pronounce "phal/l" myself as i have no idea what the hell language it's supposed to be from or what it means (other than "stupid hot curry").

Phall Curry

Origin: Indian British Food, originated at Indian Restaurants in UK

Varieties: Chicken Lamb

Major spices/herbs: Habanera or Naga Chili peppers, and fresh ginger.

So presumably it's pronounced however the 'inventors' felt at the time, although this

A vindaloo, prized by the male of the British species, must make the ticker race faster than Jenson Button. Did you know that it is claimed that chicken phall — a dish of British-Asian origin hotter than vindaloo — derives its name from phallus, signifying the machismo of a bloke who can tolerate such a dish?

strikes a chord, not so much for the machismo but the headedness of those that partake.

Whilst researching this reply I was momentarily distracted by the mention of a phall-o-meter produced by the Intersex Society of North America as mentioned in a pdf file presented at the top of page 14 of the document found here: http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/stellent/groups/...t/WTX057796.pdf

i don't know how to pronounce "phal/l" myself as i have no idea what the hell language it's supposed to be from or what it means (other than "stupid hot curry").

Thass exackly wot it means, mate. (Can't speak his own bleedin' language.)

well i can see now why the bangladeshis who heat up the dreck at our local indian restaurant looked confused last week when i pronounced it "phol" (thinking maybe it was phal/phol as in fruit, perhaps some reference to chilli peppers). this was my first encounter with the dish--a colleague and i were invited to dinner by some students and one of them (female) wanted to try it on a dare.