Lièvre à la Royale & Chevreuil Grand Veneur at Cercle Rouge 2/24 & 25

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Aaron T
For those of us without access to Facebook, what are the event details?

Special dishes for game lovers at Cercle Rouge today and tomorrow evening.

Chef Pierre Landet will prepare a Lièvre à la Royale and a Chevreuil Grand Veneur style, two very famous french classics.

And for dessert you can try the Glace au Pruneau et Armagnac.

Call us for details and reservations at (212) 226-6252

The hare was real hare, and tasted like it, and there was plenty, so at $21 (right?) definitely worth the detour. The busser, bless him, set it down saying "Your rabbit, sir..."

Good to see almost everyone else from MF New York there, Did anyone get the venison?

I thought it was $28 but regardless, that's practically free. Competent execution considering the beasts they have to work with - I'd rank it 7th out of eight versions I had this year, and the least expensive. Given that the weakest one was at Le Comptoir du Relais, that's still pretty good.

The rest of the food was also above my expectations - allegedly Dover Sole Meuniere a little bit overcooked but very good otherwise, priced under $40, good brandade served dangerously hot, and an inoffensive ris de veau salad.

Service was very odd.

The hare was real hare, and tasted like it, and there was plenty, so at $21 (right?) definitely worth the detour. The busser, bless him, set it down saying "Your rabbit, sir..."

Good to see almost everyone else from MF New York there, Did anyone get the venison?

Sorry we missed it but Ginny and I were at our favorite NBC place.... Redhead (great newish sweetbread app. on the menu).

We generally like CRouge and drop in to their bar once in awhile. As I said upthread, same owners as Bar Tabac on Smith St in our neck of the woods &, therefore, we're used to the service these places encourage. Somewhat disorganized, somewhat scattered but proficient, friendly and personable (usually). Anyone say "waiter, there's a hare on my plate"? :ph43r: (NBH: New Brooklyn Humor?)

I had this real Annie Hall/Marshall McLuhan moment.

I was sitting at the bar eating my lievre. "This tastes like real hare," I thought. "This is much better than I expected here," I thought. "Maybe a weakish version of the dish, but genuinely good."

"But," I thought, "I wonder what Orik thinks? He's had this dish many more times, at many more places, than I have."

Suddenly, I hear someone walking up behind me to greet me. Orik. He tells me that he and Sivan enjoyed it, too.

This is better than an app.

It was great to see Wilfrid and meet Taion, of course. Sorta MF central last night.