bigbear

Check out Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

Interesting show. Josh Ozersky, Steve Shaw, Jason Perlow, and Steve Plotniki were interviewed in separate short clips by Bourdain.

Bourdain's intro noted the infighting, deleting of posts, shilling, endemic in food boards as part of his intro.

Bourdain used his slightly mystified, slightly disbelieving Tony persona. Ozersky came across as a jerk, at least after the editing. Self centered and self absorbed. I don't know him, but his view is that much of food blogging is sublimated sexual urges. His interview at Minetta Lane was mostly a commercial for Pat LaFrieda Black Label burger meat. Shaw didn't come off especially well. He must have said "I made $400,000 a year at Lehman Brothers" at least twice, maybe three times. Now I'm an apostle of good food. Perlow was interviewed at White Manna, where Bourdain ate two burgers, a pile of caramelized onions, etc. Perlow ate a salad, which he brought. I'm sure there's nothing at White Manna that qualifies as healthy. He also presented himself as somebody who is driven to share news of places where there's a pride in good food.

Plotniki came across as very polished. No commercials, no mention of the survey. Bourdain mentioned that many owners chefs and publicists regularly monitor food boards.

Other segments included an interview with Dave Pasternack of Esca about serving self caught fish, Jim Lahey of Company on his pizza making.

I'm sure there will be clips on Youtube shortly

Interesting show. Just to clarify... Shaw only mentioned his previous job and earnings once; they ran that clip 3 times, twice as promo before commercial. I think.

Perlow ate a salad, which he brought. I'm sure there's nothing at White Manna that qualifies as healthy. He also presented himself as somebody who is driven to share news of places where there's a pride in good food.

The show was taped in May of 2009, ten months ago. We talked for well over an hour, and what you see is the 3 to 5 minutes of material. It's interesting what content they chose. It would be cool if someday I could see the un-edited stuff or more material on perhaps the extended version of the DVD as bonus material, especially from the others.

As to Manna, you can get lettuce and tomato on your burgers when they have them. The Greek Salad came from Giant Market across the street.

I did have one burger afterwards for a reward.

I was somewhat surprised that Bourdain omitted Mouthfuls when discussing the various spin-offs from the eG fall-out.

Maybe he went to the wrong site when googling the name?

Interesting show. Josh Ozersky, Steve Shaw, Jason Perlow, and Steve Plotniki were interviewed in separate short clips by Bourdain.

Bourdain's intro noted the infighting, deleting of posts, shilling, endemic in food boards as part of his intro.

Bourdain used his slightly mystified, slightly disbelieving Tony persona. Ozersky came across as a jerk, at least after the editing. Self centered and self absorbed. I don't know him, but his view is that much of food blogging is sublimated sexual urges. His interview at Minetta Lane was mostly a commercial for Pat LaFrieda Black Label burger meat. Shaw didn't come off especially well. He must have said "I made $400,000 a year at Lehman Brothers" at least twice, maybe three times. Now I'm an apostle of good food. Perlow was interviewed at White Manna, where Bourdain ate two burgers, a pile of caramelized onions, etc. Perlow ate a salad, which he brought. I'm sure there's nothing at White Manna that qualifies as healthy. He also presented himself as somebody who is driven to share news of places where there's a pride in good food.

Plotniki came across as very polished. No commercials, no mention of the survey. Bourdain mentioned that many owners chefs and publicists regularly monitor food boards.

Other segments included an interview with Dave Pasternack of Esca about serving self caught fish, Jim Lahey of Company on his pizza making.

I remember when Bourdain used to participate on eG--is it possible the way the guests (at least Perlow and Shaw) are portrayed reflects his personal relationship with them? I remember Perlow and Bourdain remaining relatively friendly after Bourdain (and Perlow) left eG, and I also remember some (in my opinion) harsh words that Bourdain had for FG before departing from eG.

Many people say things under the cover of an alias that they would never say in polite company using their real names; thus, their credibility can be questionable.

I would absolutely refuse to post on a foodboard using my real name. Lots of reasons.

But one is that (unlike Wilfrid and many here) I believe in at least attempting to preserve anonymity in reviewing. If all restaurants knew off the bat who prolific posters were, their restaurant evaluations would worth much less.

I would absolutely refuse to post on a foodboard using my real name. Lots of reasons.

But one is that (unlike Wilfrid and many here) I believe in at least attempting to preserve anonymity in reviewing. If all restaurants knew off the bat who prolific posters were, their restaurant evaluations would worth much less.

True, but you'd eat much better. And, be fawned over much more. Not that any of these things would change your reviews...

:lol:

I agree about the alias thing. I have my reasons and they are good ones. But preserving anoymity low on my list. Although I try very hard to be fair and to disclose any personal interest or connections at the outset.

And I am sure you have been 'made' by many,many places you frequent.

I was shocked that the Momofuku and Public people figured me out as quickly as they did, and I don't post as many reviews as you do and am not as effusive. I think that people that are interested in food, ask a lot of questions about it, discuss it with their table mates during the meal, may just stand out to all but the least aware restaurant staff. And that makes it easier to put two and two together,put a face/name to it, if you're some f.o.h. person reading online reviews and discussions.

It's in 5 segments. The first is here.

There's a related MF discussion here.

I hesitate to start down this road, as I generally don't go in for all the eGullet-bashing, but having watched the program last night I thought the only one who came off badly was Shaw. His comment about paying for very few of his meals, followed by the boast about eating "like a billionaire," without any apparent irony, seemed to raise Bourdain's eyebrows. And he seemed to revel in being abrasive... of course, anyone who knows him knows he can enjoy testing his listeners' sense of outrage, but then again so can Plotnicki and he by contrast had the savvy to play the gentlemanly enthusiast for the camera.

Jason, I thought your segment was very nice but I wondered what a viewer unaware of what actually has led to food board fighting would be left to think from the segment. You were talking about a burger you admire and about eating v. health, and Tony just kept asking you why food bloggers are so crazy, without any context. I thought the uninitiated viewer would just be confused.

I really wanted one of those oniony burgers, by the way.

I hesitate to start down this road, as I generally don't go in for all the eGullet-bashing, but having watched the program last night I thought the only one who came off badly was Shaw. His comment about paying for very few of his meals, followed by the boast about eating "like a billionaire," without any apparant irony, seemed to raise Bourdain's eyebrows. And he seemed to revel in being abrasive... of course, anyone who knows him knows he can enjoy testing his listeners' sense of outrage, but then again so can Plotnicki and he by contrast had the savvy to play the gentlemanly enthusiast for the camera.

Jason, I thought your segment was very nice but I wondered what a viewer unaware of what actually has led to food board fighting would be left to think from the segment. You were talking about a burger you admire and about eating v. health, and Tony just kept asking you why food bloggers are so crazy, without any context. I thought the uninitiated viewer would just be confused.

Nicely put, counsellor. ;)

I hesitate to start down this road, as I generally don't go in for all the eGullet-bashing, but having watched the program last night I thought the only one who came off badly was Shaw. His comment about paying for very few of his meals, followed by the boast about eating "like a billionaire," without any apparent irony, seemed to raise Bourdain's eyebrows. And he seemed to revel in being abrasive... of course, anyone who knows him knows he can enjoy testing his listeners' sense of outrage, but then again so can Plotnicki and he by contrast had the savvy to play the gentlemanly enthusiast for the camera.

i thought it was a romantic notion that you can live on free food, alone. maybe he pays his rent and electric with restaurant doggy bags, he certainly can't be paying it with lehman stock

i also want one of those oniony burgers