bigbear

Check out Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

... Tony just kept asking you why food bloggers are so crazy, without any context. I thought the uninitiated viewer would just be confused.

I could make an argument that all food board founders are crazy. Wilf's the exception that proves the rule.

I thought Shaw's explanation of why he's obsessed with food to be downright weird: Well, I'm not successful with the ladies and I dominate food, I consume it, take it in.

I thought Shaw's explanation of why he's obsessed with food to be downright weird: Well, I'm not successful with the ladies and I dominate food, I consume it, take it in.

I'd be interested in seeing the entire interview, as I suspect his five minutes of fame was distilled from a lot of self-revelatory stuff.

Jason, I thought your segment was very nice but I wondered what a viewer unaware of what actually has led to food board fighting would be left to think from the segment. You were talking about a burger you admire and about eating v. health, and Tony just kept asking you why food bloggers are so crazy, without any context. I thought the uninitiated viewer would just be confused.

I really wanted one of those oniony burgers, by the way.

Well, we talked for well over an hour and spoke about a great deal of stuff. It was really up to Travel Channel and Zero Point Zero Productions to pick the material they wanted to use for the show. I've been told there will be a lot more material on the Extended DVD.

Yeah I really wanted one of those oniony burgers too. It was torture to watch him do that, so I had one at the end for a reward.

i'm not sure what to make of the fact that bourdain doesn't seem to be able to distinguish between a board and a blog.

Not much discussion over on eG.

I find this a strange post by weinoo:

In my view, the whole episode had to be done quite tongue-in-cheek. I mean, hasn't Bourdain benefitted fairly nicely from being a writer, a blogger and food obsessed? And don't forget, he wasn't a blogger till well after his time on eGullet.

Eh?

eG post

Not much discussion over on eG.

I find this a strange post by weinoo:

In my view, the whole episode had to be done quite tongue-in-cheek. I mean, hasn't Bourdain benefitted fairly nicely from being a writer, a blogger and food obsessed? And don't forget, he wasn't a blogger till well after his time on eGullet.

Eh?

eG post

That's puzzling.

Bourdain's first post on eG was 12/29/2001, which puts him among the first few hundred members on eG. He was responding to comments on his book "A Cook's Tour", and continued for another 759 posts through the end of 2008. Bourdain's been actively engaged in the discussion of his work over the years on many sites, in many media, so I'm not sure where Weinoo's going with his argument.

Maybe the suggestion is that Bourdain is as food obsessed as any other food board poster; he did post on eG, after all?

I don't know, there was something suggestive in that post that Bourdain owed something to eG, and how dare he trash us! Traitor!

Used to love the Ruhlman Bourdain banter. I miss the old days.

posting on a food forum is not the same as blogging.

That's your lesson for the day, isn't it?

yes. i'm just waiting for wilfrid to tell me that because some idiot journalists think they are the same thing it must be so.

Interesting show. Josh Ozersky, Steve Shaw, Jason Perlow, and Steve Plotniki were interviewed in separate short clips by Bourdain.

Bourdain's intro noted the infighting, deleting of posts, shilling, endemic in food boards as part of his intro.

Bourdain used his slightly mystified, slightly disbelieving Tony persona. Ozersky came across as a jerk, at least after the editing. Self centered and self absorbed. I don't know him, but his view is that much of food blogging is sublimated sexual urges. His interview at Minetta Lane was mostly a commercial for Pat LaFrieda Black Label burger meat. Shaw didn't come off especially well. He must have said "I made $400,000 a year at Lehman Brothers" at least twice, maybe three times. Now I'm an apostle of good food. Perlow was interviewed at White Manna, where Bourdain ate two burgers, a pile of caramelized onions, etc. Perlow ate a salad, which he brought. I'm sure there's nothing at White Manna that qualifies as healthy. He also presented himself as somebody who is driven to share news of places where there's a pride in good food.

Plotniki came across as very polished. No commercials, no mention of the survey. Bourdain mentioned that many owners chefs and publicists regularly monitor food boards.

Other segments included an interview with Dave Pasternack of Esca about serving self caught fish, Jim Lahey of Company on his pizza making.

I'm sure there will be clips on Youtube shortly

Yes, I post about my meals on my blog because I don't get laid enough in my spare time.

Give me a fucking break.

But one is that (unlike Wilfrid and many here) I believe in at least attempting to preserve anonymity in reviewing. If all restaurants knew off the bat who prolific posters were, their restaurant evaluations would worth much less.

Anyone who cares will have linked your real name to your handle by now. (I see Daisy made the same point.)

... Tony just kept asking you why food bloggers are so crazy, without any context. I thought the uninitiated viewer would just be confused.

I could make an argument that all food board founders are crazy. Wilf's the exception that proves the rule.

When I am a paragon of sanity, the sample must be dismal.