bigbear

Check out Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

The guy we buy our meat from for our lunch programs is named Michael Ruffino. They even look alike. Weird.

Well, there is a wonderful meat-related comment Mike made in his book, that I am shocked to find is cited in Wiktionary (whatever that is)

Sausage Party

Etymology

From the similarity of the human penis to a sausage.

Pronunciation

(US) IPA: /ˈsɔ.sɪdʒ ˌpɑɹ.ti/

Noun: Singular - sausage party, Plural - sausage parties

(slang, derisive) A gathering with many more men than women.

2004, Michael Ruffino, Gentlemanly Repose: Confessions of a Debauched Rock 'n' Roller,[2] Citadel Press, ISBN 0-8065-2626-2, page 131,

"Of course, it doesn’t seem like a miracle that there’d be a lady at a metal show unless you’d been touring with a useless, plodding sausage party like say, oh I don’t know . . . Anthrax."

This week's episode in Boston is the one featuring my dear cousin Mike.

ETA: he did the score for this episode as well.

This week's episode in Boston is the one featuring my dear cousin Mike.

ETA: he did the score for this episode as well.

It was better than I thought it would be, this episode.

Bourdain's been getting soft lately. Maybe it's just me.

By far my least favorite episode. After the 5th Irish bar it got stale. Yes, Tony warned us, this is a rough and tough close-knit drinking town happy to eat huge sandwiches and fried food episode. We get it. What else can you tell us? Not much.

Now, the Brazil episode was fascinating. Various fruits, vegetables and fish never before seen. A must view.

By far my least favorite episode. After the 5th Irish bar it got stale. Yes, Tony warned us, this is a rough and tough close-knit drinking town happy to eat huge sandwiches and fried food episode. We get it. What else can you tell us? Not much.

Now, the Brazil episode was fascinating. Various fruits, vegetables and fish never before seen. A must view.

I do enjoy the foreign locale eps much better.

I enjoy watching him. Always have. I especially liked the one, a # of seasons ago, where he went to Ali's Kebab Cafe and we got to see typical patrons sitting at Ali's beautiful outdoor area, enjoying their food. :blink: Red Hook was also fun.

Interesting show. Josh Ozersky, Steve Shaw, Jason Perlow, and Steve Plotniki were interviewed in separate short clips by Bourdain.

Bourdain's intro noted the infighting, deleting of posts, shilling, endemic in food boards as part of his intro.

Bourdain used his slightly mystified, slightly disbelieving Tony persona. Ozersky came across as a jerk, at least after the editing. Self centered and self absorbed. I don't know him, but his view is that much of food blogging is sublimated sexual urges. His interview at Minetta Lane was mostly a commercial for Pat LaFrieda Black Label burger meat. Shaw didn't come off especially well. He must have said "I made $400,000 a year at Lehman Brothers" at least twice, maybe three times. Now I'm an apostle of good food. Perlow was interviewed at White Manna, where Bourdain ate two burgers, a pile of caramelized onions, etc. Perlow ate a salad, which he brought. I'm sure there's nothing at White Manna that qualifies as healthy. He also presented himself as somebody who is driven to share news of places where there's a pride in good food.

Plotniki came across as very polished. No commercials, no mention of the survey. Bourdain mentioned that many owners chefs and publicists regularly monitor food boards.

Other segments included an interview with Dave Pasternack of Esca about serving self caught fish, Jim Lahey of Company on his pizza making.

I'm sure there will be clips on Youtube shortly.

I'm late to this party but was fascinated to have found this. I've generally stopped watching Travel Channel due to the Man vs. Food and all of the ghost stuff.

But this was worth hunting down, per my eG history.

I really don't want to say anything further other than considering some of the same observations.

Interesting show. Josh Ozersky, Steve Shaw, Jason Perlow, and Steve Plotniki were interviewed in separate short clips by Bourdain.

Bourdain's intro noted the infighting, deleting of posts, shilling, endemic in food boards as part of his intro.

Bourdain used his slightly mystified, slightly disbelieving Tony persona. Ozersky came across as a jerk, at least after the editing. Self centered and self absorbed. I don't know him, but his view is that much of food blogging is sublimated sexual urges. His interview at Minetta Lane was mostly a commercial for Pat LaFrieda Black Label burger meat. Shaw didn't come off especially well. He must have said "I made $400,000 a year at Lehman Brothers" at least twice, maybe three times. Now I'm an apostle of good food. Perlow was interviewed at White Manna, where Bourdain ate two burgers, a pile of caramelized onions, etc. Perlow ate a salad, which he brought. I'm sure there's nothing at White Manna that qualifies as healthy. He also presented himself as somebody who is driven to share news of places where there's a pride in good food.

Plotniki came across as very polished. No commercials, no mention of the survey. Bourdain mentioned that many owners chefs and publicists regularly monitor food boards.

Other segments included an interview with Dave Pasternack of Esca about serving self caught fish, Jim Lahey of Company on his pizza making.

I'm late to this party but was fascinated to have found this. I've generally stopped watching Travel Channel due to the Man vs. Food and all of the ghost stuff.

I really don't want to say anything further other than considering some of the same observations.

You were always trouble beans with a capital "T" ;)

You were always trouble beans with a capital "T" ;)

:lol: :wub: (especially having had cocktails with more than one of the named and/or hosting the show)

i'm still fascinated with the idea that a lehman lawyer could make $400k. heads of legal groups there barely got close to that. i don't think you can count expense account meals and insider trading money as part of your salary

i'm still fascinated with the idea that a lehman lawyer could make $400k. heads of legal groups there barely got close to that. i don't think you can count expense account meals and insider trading money as part of your salary

maybe that was pre-guidelines....

You're a far better person than I. I voiced my observations on another board and got promptly deleted for "violation of privacy" (????) and got a stern warning/slap on the wrist.

Probably because I was right.

Perlow ate a salad, which he brought. I'm sure there's nothing at White Manna that qualifies as healthy. He also presented himself as somebody who is driven to share news of places where there's a pride in good food.

If I'm to be remembered for one thing and one thing only, being the guy that watched Bourdain eat greasebombs at White Manna sits perfectly well with me. I get stopped on the street and in restaurants for being that guy more than anything else I am involved with. Usually.

uh.. which episode featured these former eG characters? I'd like to see it.

Season 6 Episode 7 "Obsessed"

Two former eG members, one "last founder standing" (as he likes to refer to himself), and one other (afaik) non-eG guy.

I think that part of the episode should have been subtitled "self-obsessed".