bigbear

Check out Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

Season 6 Episode 7 "Obsessed"

Two former eG members, one "last founder standing" (as he likes to refer to himself), and one other (afaik) non-eG guy.

I think that part of the episode should have been subtitled "self-obsessed".

I hate to disappoint you, but some of us just don't care anymore and have better things to do with ourselves.

Two former eG members, one "last founder standing" (as he likes to refer to himself), and one other (afaik) non-eG guy.

I hate to disappoint you, but some of us just don't care anymore and have better things to do with ourselves.

About what should I be disappointed?

And why is it important to me that "some of [you] just don't care any more and have better things to do with [yourselves]"? (don't care about what? And better things to do with yourself than what? No clue what you're talking about.)

Thank you!

Thank you!

Bourdain and Zero Point Zero productions and Travel Channel chose the title, not us.

We were each interviewed independently, and in my case, I was told prior to the filming that it would be a show about food blogging. I was somewhat suspicious about this from the start.

I had no idea that Shaw and Plotnicki were both interviewed as well, but I knew going into it that Bourdain had some negative feelings about at least Shaw. I've always considered Bourdain someone that I've had a good relationship with -- I've had podcasts of my own with him since I went into independent food blogging and we are quite friendly with each other, and I have visited his home on one occasion and have socialized with him on several others, so I did not expect that I was going to get slammed, but I was still very cautious about what could come out in the edit process.

It was my intention, at least, to not come off as some kind of self-important pretentious asshole and instead as a somewhat normal haimish person, since I had no idea who else was going to appear on the program. And for the most part, I think that's how I was represented. Which is exactly why I chose the venue that I did for my interview. I knew it would be a place Bourdain would have likely visited during his youth, so that it would set the tone for the conversation and would be disarming.

In addition to questions about food blogging he asked me a lot of questions about why I formed eGullet and why people act the way they do on food forums. We taped for over an hour and a half, and what was televised was only a very small portion of what we discussed.

Shooting of my segment took place in late April, 2009. I previously said it was May of that year but Flickr dates it otherwise. I'm guessing the other segments were filmed about the same time. It did not air until over a year later.

At that point I had been disassociated with eGullet for just over 3 years and was well into establishing myself in independent food blogging. It's now going on 5 years for Off The Broiler, and July 15 2011 will mark the ten year anniversary of when I registered the domain name eGullet.com. So when I tell you that eGullet is pretty much ancient history and no longer particularly relevant in the way I conduct my life or has almost no bearing on the relationships I have with people in the food industry today, you can be assured it is true.

Thank you!

Bourdain and Zero Point Zero productions and Travel Channel chose the title, not us.

We were each interviewed independently, and in my case, I was told prior to the filming that it would be a show about food blogging. I was somewhat suspicious about this from the start.

I had no idea that Shaw and Plotnicki were both interviewed as well, but I knew going into it that Bourdain had some negative feelings about at least Shaw. I've always considered Bourdain someone that I've had a good relationship with -- I've had podcasts of my own with him since I went into independent food blogging and we are quite friendly with each other, and I have visited his home on one occasion and have socialized with him on several others, so I did not expect that I was going to get slammed, but I was still very cautious about what could come out in the edit process.

It was my intention, at least, to not come off as some kind of self-important pretentious asshole and instead as a somewhat normal haimish person, since I had no idea who else was going to appear on the program. And for the most part, I think that's how I was represented. Which is exactly why I chose the venue that I did for my interview. I knew it would be a place Bourdain would have likely visited during his youth, so that it would set the tone for the conversation and would be disarming.

In addition to questions about food blogging he asked me a lot of questions about why I formed eGullet and why people act the way they do on food forums. We taped for over an hour and a half, and what was televised was only a very small portion of what we discussed.

Shooting of my segment took place in late April, 2009. I previously said it was May of that year but Flickr dates it otherwise. I'm guessing the other segments were filmed about the same time. It did not air until over a year later.

At that point I had been disassociated with eGullet for just over 3 years and was well into establishing myself in independent food blogging. It's now going on 5 years for Off The Broiler, and July 15 2011 will mark the ten year anniversary of when I registered the domain name eGullet.com. So when I tell you that eGullet is pretty much ancient history and no longer particularly relevant in the way I conduct my life or has almost no bearing on the relationships I have with people in the food industry today, you can be assured it is true.

No one has doubted that--why bring it up?

Caught the El Bulli episode last night. Fascinating and among the shows very best imo.

For those of us who’ll never have a chance to dine there its special to see how the kitchen operates including detailed composistion of several dishes, service, methodology and a recap on the place's history and everything that went into it.

We also get some insight on the future of Adria and some fun moments around Barcelona and the countryside with Jose Andres (who’s enthusiasm can be a little much at times but nevertheless has something to add). Fan of AB or not this one should not be missed.

Agree on all counts. The first time I felt I really understood why the place was exceptional.

Just watched this on Discovery Channel Germany last night. Seeing Jason, Fat guy, Ozersky et all dubbed in German was a bit surreal. Bourdain is dubbed pretty well considering, and a lot of the episodes are entertaining, but this one...German viewers probably happy to confirm their dearly held opinion that Americans are completely daft. Weirdly petty and annoying episode.

Hats off to Tony and his producers for devoting a good chunk of air to Fergus Henderson in the London Layover episode.

As some may know, Fergus is suffering from what appears to be advanced Parkinson’s. I don’t know the particulars but he was in a bad way both physically and verbally (subtitles were necessary). We can see some editing was attempted, abstract angles, quick look aways, blurs, etc but they pretty much laid out his condition as it was.

Depressing and tough to watch but it makes you appreciate life, health, whatever’s important to you (if only for a few minutes). It was apparent how honored he was to be included in the show. Perhaps more an homage from Tony than anything else. Did anyone else see it?

Was this recent? Henderson had a DBS pacemaker fitted a few years ago which seemed to have greatly improved his condition.