Sign in to follow this  
Steve R.

Montreal & Quebec City

scribbles - if you want nightlife recs, I'll give you some if you give me your group's preferences.

Ori, what are the chances you could finagle your way into 357c to raise the sum total of good information about the place to one from zero? Because I don't actually believe it's one of the best restaurants in the city but, hey, you never know.

I'll ask some artist friends, maybe they have Daniel Langlois's ear although I doubt it.

scribbles - if you want nightlife recs, I'll give you some if you give me your group's preferences.

Ori, what are the chances you could finagle your way into 357c to raise the sum total of good information about the place to one from zero? Because I don't actually believe it's one of the best restaurants in the city but, hey, you never know.

I'll ask some artist friends, maybe they have Daniel Langlois's ear although I doubt it.

Oh come on. If you can get into Frej on the reg, this should be a cake walk. It's not like I'm asking oak, pig, or sneak to do it, you're, like, known.

That's kind of nice. I think I'd like to live in a country that had a strategic maple syrup reserve instead of a strategic oil reserve.

As I understand it, Montreal is a great city for jazz; too bad the big festival is over for this year. No recommendations as I've never actually been, just heard about it on WBGO. Come to think of it, that might be a good place to look for a list of places for jazz. Michael Bourne's the expert there.

As I understand it, Montreal is a great city for jazz; too bad the big festival is over for this year. No recommendations as I've never actually been, just heard about it on WBGO. Come to think of it, that might be a good place to look for a list of places for jazz. Michael Bourne's the expert there.

WBGO sends a substantial contingent to Festival every year. Often five or six people to handle live broadcasts, concert recordings, interviews, etc.

This year's blog entries mention a whole slew of places WBGO blog including Balmoral, Cafe Charrier, Pizzadelic, Frites Alors, etc.

I can't thank you all enough for those recommendations.

Wednesday night we went to Nora Gray for dinner. Thursday we started the day at St-Viateur and Cafe Olympico, had lunch at Schwartz's, snack at Kouign Amann, dinner at Joe Beef.

Nora Gray was very good. Had a tomato and fried mozzarella appetizer, burrata+chanterelles+favas, agnolotti+grilled radicchio+fontina, passeta en brodo+summer vegetables, sea bream+shellfish, pork filet+potatoes/corn+grilled plums, white wine poached apricots+almond ice cream, tangerine sorbet. Loved the music. I could see how on a weekend the crowd might trend towards the d-baggy. This was a better meal than any in a comparable genre in NYC that I've had recently. Michael White looks like a charlatan in comparison. Should be ashamed.

Montreal bagels aren't really for me.

Cafe Olympico was nice enough, a place I could hang out in for a while. The espresso was acceptable.

Schwartz's...wow. Stylistically different from David's, obviously, but I think I prefer this. Mile End should be ashamed.

Kouign Amann: some of the better French pastries I've had this summer, though there was this bakery, La Boite au Pain I think, in QBC, that was also very good. Had the kouign amann of course--delicious. But maybe a little undercaramelized for my taste? Almond+chocolate croissant was amazing. Tarte tatin looked beautiful, a perfect slab of rose apples, but for me, the apples were overcooked. I like a little firmness.

Joe Beef: I felt horrible after I left and the next morning, but it was worth it. foie gras double down, salad+cheddar, white corn+herring, horse steak, regular steak, the ribs, tomato salad, extra fries. The only thing I didn't like, predictably, was the ribs, which were overcooked, oversmoked, and covered with a pretty bad parody of American bbq sauce.

My conclusion: NYC is barren in comparison to Montreal. Thanks again everyone.

Glad you had a good trip. Find anything worthwhile on the way up?

You put Nora Gray on my list, good work.

Joe Beef is a chef's restaurant in the way that restaurants that claim they are "chef's restaurants" are not. Morin isn't afraid to serve whatever he wants to eat be it St. Louis style ribs or Livre a Royale or a nearly naked tomato salad while maintaining an ultra-high ingredient quality. Tremendous place.

(are the fries any good? I've never had their fries ...)

Joe Beef is a chef's restaurant in the way that restaurants that claim they are "chef's restaurants" are not. Morin isn't afraid to serve whatever he wants to eat be it St. Louis style ribs or Livre a Royale or a nearly naked tomato salad while maintaining an ultra-high ingredient quality. Tremendous place.

so much on the trip up. If you're ever in Littleton, New Hampshire, I would highly recommend either the Littleton Diner or Polly's Pancake Parlor both for, well, pancakes. I also enjoyed Bishop's Homemade Ice Cream in Littleton, especially the maple nut flavor. Also hit Markey's Lobster Pool in Seabrook, NH, which was a good lobster roll. Coffee An in Westport CT--donuts a little dense for my taste, but the coconut stick was dope. Pretty good bakery in Newburgh, New York called Torino Bakery, Italian cookies. Colony Grill in Stamford CT has pretty good CT-style pizza without CT pizza lines. I think the real find of the trip was this place Hans Frozen Custard in Harrisburg PA that was better than Ted Drewes.

I don't think I could eat at Joe Beef more than once every month or two, soo rich. The fries are a salt bomb, covered in some sort of pecorino cheese and fried in beef fat and then tossed in garlic butter!, served with mustard. I ate like half a serving and nearly vomited. If I had, I probably would have eaten the other half.

so much on the trip up. If you're ever in Littleton, New Hampshire, I would highly recommend either the Littleton Diner or Polly's Pancake Parlor both for, well, pancakes. I also enjoyed Bishop's Homemade Ice Cream in Littleton, especially the maple nut flavor. Also hit Markey's Lobster Pool in Seabrook, NH, which was a good lobster roll. Coffee An in Westport CT--donuts a little dense for my taste, but the coconut stick was dope. Pretty good bakery in Newburgh, New York called Torino Bakery, Italian cookies. Colony Grill in Stamford CT has pretty good CT-style pizza without CT pizza lines. I think the real find of the trip was this place Hans Frozen Custard in Harrisburg PA that was better than Ted Drewes.

I don't think I could eat at Joe Beef more than once every month or two, soo rich. The fries are a salt bomb, covered in some sort of pecorino cheese and fried in beef fat and then tossed in garlic butter!, served with mustard. I ate like half a serving and nearly vomited. If I had, I probably would have eaten the other half.

Colony is a good place. Lex would love it assuming he likes tavern style pies like that.

I should probably have this discussion on the NYC board, but I totally disagree with it. The reason we think that is because, somehow, we feel obliged to have a full three-course meal when we eat at these restaurants even when the restaurants themselves thumb their nose at the idea. Go to Joe Beef weekly and order two lighter apps or some oysters and an app or a single main. There's plenty light on the menu, but we somehow feel obliged to order phenimonal amounts of food. Or, similarly, there's no reason not to treat small plates places in a more Spanish (of sorts) way. Stop in, have a plate at the bar, have a drink, move on. If restaurants are going to buck the three course format, there's no reason not to try and use them in a more utilitarian way.

I should probably have this discussion on the NYC board, but I totally disagree with it. The reason we think that is because, somehow, we feel obliged to have a full three-course meal when we eat at these restaurants even when the restaurants themselves thumb their nose at the idea. Go to Joe Beef weekly and order two lighter apps or some oysters and an app or a single main. There's plenty light on the menu, but we somehow feel obliged to order phenimonal amounts of food. Or, there's no reason not to treat small plates places in a more Spanish (of sorts) way. Stop in, have a plate at the bar, have a drink, move on. If restaurants are going to buck the three course format, there's no reason not to try and use them in a more utilitarian way.

I had a similar thought at Joe Beef a few weeks ago. There were probably a dozen things on the black board I would have liked to try. Offering them in tapas sized portions, or being able to visit on a regular basis would be ideal.