Sign in to follow this  
Steve R.

Montreal & Quebec City

As in computer programming, you can take the big problem and reduce it to smaller ones. The textbook will tell you they'll then be easy to solve, but the truth is one of them is always going to end up a huge rack of ribs or that spaghetti. laugh.gif

As in computer programming, you can take the big problem and reduce it to smaller ones. The textbook will tell you they'll then be easy to solve, but the truth is one of them is always going to end up a huge rack of ribs or that spaghetti. laugh.gif

that's why i eat the test first

I don't think I could eat at Joe Beef more than once every month or two, soo rich. The fries are a salt bomb, covered in some sort of pecorino cheese and fried in beef fat and then tossed in garlic butter!, served with mustard. I ate like half a serving and nearly vomited. If I had, I probably would have eaten the other half.

I should probably have this discussion on the NYC board, but I totally disagree with it. The reason we think that is because, somehow, we feel obliged to have a full three-course meal when we eat at these restaurants even when the restaurants themselves thumb their nose at the idea. Go to Joe Beef weekly and order two lighter apps or some oysters and an app or a single main. There's plenty light on the menu, but we somehow feel obliged to order phenimonal amounts of food. Or, similarly, there's no reason not to treat small plates places in a more Spanish (of sorts) way. Stop in, have a plate at the bar, have a drink, move on. If restaurants are going to buck the three course format, there's no reason not to try and use them in a more utilitarian way.

Agreed...I've traveled down from Montreal through Maine,Vermont and Boston in the past 2 weeks,and got by eating 2 apps,and maybe a dessert everywhere....lots of tastes,no wasted food. I like Joe Beef because it's a generous restaurant where people seem to be really enjoying themselves. Oysters from B.C. are So Good right now,and there are plenty of interesting,eccentric dishes there that aren't overly rich.

I'm sorry to report total failure in using Joe Beef for a small plate or two. On the other hand, we had our best meal there yet, which was even more impressive as it is now a fairly large operation (two dining rooms + two bars + covered garden + liverpool house that's really almost the same). These guys can cook, they can run service, they can get away with pretty much anything.

Oysters were lovely as usual, razor clams with a cucumber and chili salad were nice, but a bit overcooked. The bread that came with the apps was the bread that all smoked meat sandwiches should be served in - delicately rye flavored sourdough, a bit moist but not overly dense or mushy.

I was worried about the foie double down (we only had half, regretfully) - two slices of crusted, fried foie sandwiching bacon and cheddar, both because it sounded like it had the potential to be a greasy, salty mess, and because they were serving it Reuben style, and Reuben is not my favorite sandwich. Fortunately it was not salty or greasy, and the Reubenisms were served on the side (helped me confirm my suspicion that pickles with sauerkaut and special sauce are all you taste when you eat a Reuben, and that I don't like that). A good thing we only ordered half a sandwich as there was more undisclosed foie to come.

The brilliant main course was one of those things that would be impossible to serve elsewhere (ok, maybe in rural France) - duck confit and liver cooked in a tourte with the confit leg bone sticking out the top, served with a lot of breast meat (sous vide? but not mushy) and foie in sour cherry, peach, and some other red fruit I didn't recognize - like a very large red gooseberry. Also some barley, but not a lot of it as it's a controversial item on MF. $80 for two.

Oddly, while other places in Montreal have seen great improvement to their wine lists following some liberalization, the list here seems to have shrunk substantially. Markups around 100% to US retail.

Just to be a blatant overliteral pain in the ass, this bolsters the point I was trying to make in my Guy Fiero write-up on the New York board.

If you're a good cook, it's possible to create dishes with a lot of fat that are nevertheless balanced in flavor and aren't a greasy gloppy mess.

You can't equate restaurants like this with tasteless fast-food outlets.

Sounds unreal. I've come to the conclusion that Montreal may be the best food city on the East Coast. I need to get back there this winter.

Le Bellig in Quebec City. Two galettes - egg cheese and andouille; egg cheese and roasted vegetables. And of course, the house-made kouign amann with ice cream and caramel sauce for dessert. I wanted to bring back a slice of ka, but alas, I was told it was only available to eat at the restaurant. Same style as Au Kouign Amann, but a bit thicker.

An aside, French andouille and Cajun andouille are not the same. Oops.

An aside, French andouille and Cajun andouille are not the same. Oops.

I believe that the French one you're referring to is andouillette, not andouille.  And, yes, very different.

As an aside, its now 10 years after I started this thread because of a possible impending trip to Montreal and QC.  Never went.  So, we've now rented a place in Montreal for the month of May and will finally get there to see what everyone's been talking about.   We'll have a car for trips outside of Montreal and will be in QC for a 3 or 4 day/night stay middle of May.

There's French andouille and andouillette. Two different smelly sausages.

The menu called it andouille, but wiki said it was a type of andouillette. We should have checked it before we ordered rather than after, but at the time, I didn't even consider it might not be like Cajun andouille. It was still tasty, just not the best choice for someone (not me) with gout, especially after eating the tripe from Liverpool House three days in a row (today marks the 5th day in a row).

Well, I guess you just resolved whether or not we should go to Liverpool House.

At Atwater Market, there a place that sells mostly pate. They have frozen tripe - cooked either in tomato sauce (the board said nicoise), or with white wine, carrots, etc. At first my mother wasn't going to get any, because I had only noticed the nicoise and assumed it might be similar to the one from LH (in tomato sauce - it was a special, btw, not on the regular menu). But when the one with wine was described, she had to try it because, "The lowly tripe cooked in wine? It must be very special!" I replied, "It's French. I think that's just regular cooking for them."

It comes in little frozen packages, and is ~$23/kg I think.

I went to Atwater for the first time last fall. I liked it much more than Jean Talon and this visit, I didn't even try to go to Jean Talon, since I was perfectly happy with Atwater.

The tripe from the pate store, by the way, was really good, according to my mother. I think she wishes she had gotten more, and perhaps even wishes she had gotten the other one, too.