I knew I should've picked up some apples this past weekend at USGM but I figure I can get those at the corner store, even if they're not held in storage from last fall.

Been thinking about making pâte brisée for some time.

How thin should I cut the butter?

And any other tips you can share?

Thanks in advance.

I knew I should've picked up some apples this past weekend at USGM but I figure I can get those at the corner store, even if they're not held in storage from last fall.

Thanks in advance.

I cut the butter into approx. 1/2-in. cubes. Then, once I've cut the butter into the flour & worked in a little ice water, I use the heel of my hand to smear out the dough, about an egg-sized blob at a time. Gather it back together and smear again, do the same one more time. It's the pro's way to blend the dough.

Thanks in advance.

I cut the butter into approx. 1/2-in. cubes. Then, once I've cut the butter into the flour & worked in a little ice water, I use the heel of my hand to smear out the dough, about an egg-sized blob at a time. Gather it back together and smear again, do the same one more time. It's the pro's way to blend the dough.

Fraisage. Very professional indeed. ;) (sorry, I've been working on a lot of baking and pastry books lately.)

Remember that pâte brisée is tender, not flaky, so you do indeed want to work the butter into the flour well. Some recipes include egg, which you mix with the water first.

Won't the heat of my fingertips soften the butter overmuch?

I suppose I have to work really quickly, huh?

As for texture of the dough pellets, how grainy should they be?

I'll be taking pix for the blog so maybe y'all can tell me whether I've succeeded or failed.

It's just tart dough, right? What can go wrong? (famous last words)

Have a look at Maury Rubin's Book of Tarts. His doughs are basically pâte brisée, and indestructable. Delicious, too.

If you are worried about your hands being too hot, dip them in ice water before you start handling the dough. (I'm being facetious; you really don't have to worry unless you normally run very hot.)

For a short dough, the fat-flour mixture is more like fine cornmeal. Didn't you read what I said about tender versus flaky? :rolleyes: This is a tender dough, one that crumbles upon eating. In order to get that, you have to coat the flour particles really well with fat, so that once you add the water, the glutenin and gliadin are coated and can't get together to make gluten babies.