Native American baskets (especially the more ancient ones, such as those in museums I've seen in the PNW, including BC. and Alaska) hold a special interest for me. I love to see them.

One of the few things I have that belonged to my maternal grandmother (who passed away when my mom was in her teens) is a smallish lidded basket that she used for her sewing notions. It's in fragile condition now, but I really treasure it.

• 3 years later...

Oooooh, Helena, you beast...

Last spring, I went to an astounding exhibit at the San Francisco Asian Arts Museum on Masters of Bamboo, the Japanese and Baskets of the Cotsen Collection. I really became rather obsessed with the art and design of these basket and learned that many were available through the Tai Gallery in New Mexico.

Now, a year after first seeing those baskets, I wrote up the acquisition of one on the Blog, but the gist is that I acquired is a smaller, black version of the one on the top of this page.

I love the medium and could easily become an addict...

• 8 months later...

Wow - that fish piece is amazing! Clicking through the exhibition link, I can see that many of the pieces in this show are the same as the San Francisco show, but aren't they incredibly inspiring? To think these stunning forms are created with mere long thin strips of a plant... Thanks for sharing!

Stunning stuff, isn't it! I love this type of mind-expansion. And you can't do it on drugs. Let no one make fun of basketweaving classes. Oh, and what was the ultimate insult back in the hippy-dippy days when referring to the new college catalog class offerings - - yes, underwater basketweaving.