Downtown NYC Bar Project

Another blogger with a large appetite, this time for booze, is planning on hitting 175 East Village/LES bars. I hadn't realized there were so many, but of course it does mean visiting bars you wouldn't otherwise visit.

One problem is that, like the beer list at dba, this list will constantly change as places go out of business and open. There's already a new bar on the corner of St Mark's and First Avenue, VBar St Mark's.

The brief reviews are worth browsing, although a special understatement award goes to the comment that McSorley's was open "before you were alive." It was open before Teddy Roosevelt was alive.

Oh, I am so glad I kept reading:

Observations: Duke's Bar, I've been a fan since my first visit. Another low-key - early evening, anyway - mostly neighborhood bar. Typically long and narrow, lots of wood and brick, certainly not polished but not nastily dirty. Big windows on the front with a table and banquette, looking across Avenue C at a cop station. Otherwise pretty nondescript.

It does have the somewhat unique to downtown NYC vibe where the environs say "dive bar" but the clientele is middle aged and talking about the latest fancy meals they've had. That is, I rarely heard people at dive bars in New Orleans discussing marrow, tripe, pork belly, sweetbreads and reduction sauces, as I just did. And critically, not just in adulation.

Small but decent beer selection. Pool table and dartboard in back, and one of those dumb hunting games. No food. Just foodies.

Shit. Sorry I spoiled the atmosphere. :blush:

link

ETA: That was a discussion of dinner at Roberta's, and I think the issue was the pineapple reduction on the pork belly.

Another blogger with a large appetite, this time for booze, is planning on hitting 175 East Village/LES bars. I hadn't realized there were so many, but of course it does mean visiting bars you wouldn't otherwise visit.

One problem is that, like the beer list at dba, this list will constantly change as places go out of business and open. There's already a new bar on the corner of St Mark's and First Avenue, VBar St Mark's.

you know one can hit more than one bar a night, right? this can be done in less than two months. plus, say, a few days for all newbies that open in that two-month window

you know one can hit more than one bar a night, right? this can be done in less than two months. plus, say, a few days for all newbies that open in that two-month window

If you figure 15 bars a night, with one drink each,you could probably do it in even less time. But, you wouldn't remember too much of what you drank, or where you went.

Indeed. Seeking out the really good places would be a worthwhile exercise. Hitting *all* of them screams "stunt."