Torrisi Italian Specialties

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't seem to find a existing thread.   Other then the great sandwiches I've been hearing about has anyone tried dinner?

No, of course not, it was a point worth making - which he made.   I didn't notice the print critics making it. I've not been to this place, and you can add it to a lengthy list of Italian restaura

Or you can make a reservation at a civilized time at Ed's Chowder House and enjoy a 5 Course Dinner prepared by Chef Ed Brown for $55. http://www.chinagrillmgt.com/promotions/?r=58&p=76

Hey I always tell people who ask me about Torrisi that if they're further west they should just go to Alidoro.

Yeah, I think by any objective measure Alidoro's sandwiches are better than Torrisi's but in a weird way they're not as "special" as Torrisi's turkey. I would wager that Torrisi's turkey breast is the best I've had. In fact, it's pretty remarkable for turkey - it's as good as something as inherently boring and limited as turkey can get. In fact, it's delicious. Unlike with Alidoro, where their sandwiches amount to very good shopping and a lot of care, the Panama at Torrisi turns turkey into something that I actually crave.

Have you HAD the turkey?

yes. twice. It is quite good. Actually it is really good. It does not however transcend its inherent "Turkey-ness"

The difference is Alidoro is run by a curmudgeon (who remarkably is actually an improvement over the Melampo days) whereas Torrisi guys are very friendly and media saavy. I can understand why you would prefer one over the other - but it ain't for the food.

No no. I think both Adrian and I are both saying that, EXCEPT for the turkey, we prefer Alidoro. (I know I'M saying that.)

Yup. Also, I don't think that either of us are saying that we think that the Panama at Torrisi is better than the Matthew at Alidoro. I don't think it is. I do think that the turkey at Torrisi is remarkable because, by my estimation, it's about as good as turkey can possibly get. I haven't been impressed by the other sandwiches at Torrisi. They're good, but nothing more (actually, the chicken parm was disappointing, but I digress).

No no. I think both Adrian and I are both saying that, EXCEPT for the turkey, we prefer Alidoro. (I know I'M saying that.)

Yup. Also, I don't think that either of us are saying that we think that the Panama at Torrisi is better than the Matthew at Alidoro. I don't think it is. I do think that the turkey at Torrisi is remarkable because, by my estimation, it's about as good as turkey can possibly get. I haven't been impressed by the other sandwiches at Torrisi. They're good, but nothing more (actually, the chicken parm was disappointing, but I digress).

How is this turkey prepared?

In a funny way, the comp of Alidoro (perfect for 15 and under review btw--it is actually 15 and under and the quality there warrants a nod) and Torrisi at least qualitatively is apples and apples. Two of the best sandwich joints in the city. Just a couple of days ago, coming from Ottomanelli's (where I picked up some veal for an exciting experiment with Paul Bertoli's vitello tonnato recipe) I cycled past Alidoro on my way to a lunch date at Torrisi. Felt very conflicted but it was too late to make a change. The thing about the turkey (which is brined, (I don't know that but eating it, it has to be albeit lightly) is that unlike every other good turkey sandwich anywhere, the meat is sliced thickly and with a knife, not a meat slicer. Balls. And there's a glaze and a ton of herbs. They keep it right out on the counter for all to see.

How is this turkey prepared?

CVap