• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So the point of this article was to promote the Red Rooster or is Marcus taking a writing class at some community college

Huang should watch JGV's wife pretending to be Korean. It makes Samuelsson's marketing bullshit (remember when he was Swedish? remember when he opened Aquavit MN and he was both Swedish and sort of Somali?) seem far more acceptable.

Her Kimchi Chronicles on PBS. She runs around Korea saying "OMG!" every 5 minutes. Awful stuff.

I'm glad that there's finally a responsible spokesman for The Black Man.

Eddie did take one of his rapper friends.. So, you know.

Yeah, he overlooks the gap between "people I know who live in Harlem don't eat at this kind of place," and "people who live in Harlem don't eat at this kind of place."

so pantomime black guy eddie huang thinks folks who live in harlem are being hoodwinked by a black guy, who eddie doesn't perceive is black enough, into wanting tablecloths and no take out windows. which folks is eddie so concerned about? the folks who live in the projects? the folks who live in the million dollar condos? did eddie huang ever go to harlem before it's gentrification? did he even live in nyc then? it's a restaurant not a social program. maybe eddie's just mad because his restaurant closed and marcus still has investors and projects lined up. eddie huang is just a hater

It's funny to read the Eater comments from guys who say Marcus is a lightweight who can't cook. If it didn't happen within the last 15 minutes, they seem to think it never happened at all. Granted, he's mostly a brand now, but the guy worked his way up from nowhere and was a serious chef at Aquavit for years.

It's funny to read the Eater comments from guys who say Marcus is a lightweight who can't cook. If it didn't happen within the last 15 minutes, they seem to think it never happened at all. Granted, he's mostly a brand now, but the guy worked his way up from nowhere and was a serious chef at Aquavit for years.

I have been to Acquavit while he was cooking there but, more recently, I went to Riingo when it opened and have kind of thought he was a sell out suck bag since then. He didn't win me over with his African themed monstrosity or this new Soul Food concept but, that is my opinion. I hear what Eddie is saying but, I am not as bothered by it as Eddie is.. I feel like Eddie's whole angle is marketing his race as well so, he probably has a set of rules he follows in order to justify it to himself so, he is probably more sensitive when someone is selling out their race by a different standard.

It's clear Eddie is race obsessed. When he is not playing up being Asian, he is acting how he perceives African Americans to be. And it is clear, to him, being African American means you have to be a hip hop artist or rapper, or thug. This is the guy who bragged about selling drugs, I am sure this fostered his connection with the African American community in his mind.

Either way, I don't care about any of the parties involved.

I think Huang may be right to react to some of the quotes as he does-- I haven't read the book but, taken out of context as they may be, some of them nevertheless are cringe-worthy.

However, I do not understand his reaction to the restaurant at all. Red Rooster brings a fine dining establishment to Harlem. Samuelsson isn't claiming to have started a restaurant just like the ones that are already there. Bringing something new, at a higher level of sophistication (and price too, of course, that goes with it) is kind of the point, isn't it? Yet Huang seems to fault Samuelsson for not creating something just like what they already have. And Eddie's the one stereotyping Harlem locals, by claiming all of them only want one kind of restaurant.

I can't say he's wrong that the food isn't any good, as I've never been.

Besides having way more money then me and an actual restaurant who the hell is eddie? I dont even know where this guy came from. Why is he popular? Is his place good? I guess i dont know enough about the guy.

He's an American of Taiwanese parentage who self-identifies as black. (Well, I guess his background counts as "of color" in some circles.) He's a former lawyer (or at least trained to be one). He's got his own tag on Eater. And of course, he's a TV star.:ph43r: