• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So the point of this article was to promote the Red Rooster or is Marcus taking a writing class at some community college

Eddie Huang makes me embarrassed to be Asian.

His Stepin' Fetchit act is what's really silly.

His complete lack of self-awareness is almost endearing. Almost:

I have no problem with localized Jamaican Chinese, Cuban Chinese, Peruvian mishmash, etc. Those things are all ok, because Jamaica doesn't have the power to re-define the food no matter how good it is. What scares us about White American chefs is that they have the power, network, messaging to take something and make it theirs. No other group at this time on the planet has the power to do that except maybe the Japanese, but come on, how seriously do you take a 5' food dude with a 1/10 inch thick knife that can be snapped in half. They don't even have a standing military (besides Self-Defense Forces) dude.

Off the Boat

Red Rooster means male private parts, right, like from the song? I keep seeing this and it makes me laugh. It's like I was bringing in that 18 inch ceramic rooster from China.. They kept sending me emails titled, "18 inch ceramic cock "

Eddie Huang makes me embarrassed to be Asian.

His Stepin' Fetchit act is what's really silly.

His complete lack of self-awareness is almost endearing. Almost:

I have no problem with localized Jamaican Chinese, Cuban Chinese, Peruvian mishmash, etc. Those things are all ok, because Jamaica doesn't have the power to re-define the food no matter how good it is. What scares us about White American chefs is that they have the power, network, messaging to take something and make it theirs. No other group at this time on the planet has the power to do that except maybe the Japanese, but come on, how seriously do you take a 5' food dude with a 1/10 inch thick knife that can be snapped in half. They don't even have a standing military (besides Self-Defense Forces) dude.

Off the Boat

Really?

I suppose he's never heard of Facebook either.

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Good piece. The comments are wild, of course. I commented:

It's a very good piece, but what cracks me up is the idea that serving $28 fried chicken plates at The Red Rooster is spitting in the face of the local community, while popping the Cristal and ordering three-figure-bottle service at Harlem bars and clubs (favored, incidentally, by those who "embrace the hip hop aesthetic") is apparently just fine.

Eddie's commentary is so dumb that practically anyone could take shots at it, and score.

Eddie would say: "why you always trying to put a brother down? " the burden of a pantomime black man is heavy man. It's really heavy.