Sign in to follow this  
Wilfrid

The Martin Amis Question

Martin Amis. Yes or no?

I have been asking myself that for years.

Meanwhile, L Magazine, the Brooklyn-inclined freebie, scored a good interview with him. Worth reading.

Has he written anything since The Information worth getting excited about?

I tend to cut him some slack. The man's written two great books (Money, The Information) and a least one pretty good one (I agree about Yellow Dog). Not too many authors can make that claim. Thanks for the link.

You don't rate London Fields? I think it's his second best after Money.

His short stories and non-fiction* are good to excellent too.

*Koba The Dread** is reputed to be derivative and obvious.

**But a great title.

I would rank the best/my favorite Amis works as Money, London Fields, the Information. I do want to read his latest. And I too rather liked Yellow Dog.

London Fields the best after Money, I agree. Found Yellow Dog for five bucks, so will give it a spin.

For several years he threatened to be a major novelist (and made a lot of money), but was then outstripped by contemporaries like McEwan. Or maybe just by McEwan.

Koba The Dread is reputed to be derivative and obvious.

I recognized Stalin's nickname but I didn't remember the book. Google led me to this review and some wonderful quotes. My favorite -

The onset of glasnost in the '80s saw the release of official documents that not only confirmed but exceeded the numbers of dead the historian Robert Conquest had claimed in his 1968 book "The Great Terror." When Conquest set about preparing a new edition of the book using those documents (it appeared in 1990 as "The Great Terror: A Reassessment"), his publisher asked whether he thought a new title would be appropriate. "How about, 'I Told You So, You Fucking Fools'?" Conquest responded.

McEwans is a drink not an author - 80' for choice.

The author McEwan is lighter than a pint of heavy.

London Fields the best after Money, I agree. Found Yellow Dog for five bucks, so will give it a spin.

For several years he threatened to be a major novelist (and made a lot of money), but was then outstripped by contemporaries like McEwan. Or maybe just by McEwan.

rushdie is also a contemporary (and pal). also ishiguro.

Right. I just went blank.

Graham Swift.