Pete Wells' Favorite NYC Bars

I used to go to all those West 50s French places a lot, when I was very much younger (and they were still there). That's where I learned about French food. I guess that's why cuisine bourgeois is still what I like the best.

Of those places, I quite liked Rene Pujol (closed).

It's not too late to visit L'Absinthe. Same chef for many years, and I've never had a bad meal. Some of the best dishes are cold weather dishes, I suppose, but that surely won't deter you.

Oh, they have pig's trotters stuffed with foie. I've not eaten that.

My favorite was probably Pierre au Tunnel (closed), because that was the only place I knew where you could always get tete de veau.

Rene Pujol was wonderful, my inexperienced self thought (although it lost a little when it went upscale in its last years).

Tete de veau, sauce gribiche and leeks in a light vinaigrette was my regular appetizer at L'Absinthe. It's not always on the menu now.

Thinking wistfully of Frankie's, but not sure I have the energy for the journey this evening.

Oh. Brandy's Piano Bar looks well worth adding to the list.

Except for the location.

I actually prefer Brandy's to say Marie's Crisis (except for the location)...but if you happen to be on a date up there...it's a reliably fun option. Similar clientele to the WV piano bars.

I thought the list was very good.

I hate to say it, but Marie's is not what it was. Partly the talent - some of the pianists are not as funny as they think they are - partly because, inevitably, it now swarms with breeders young couples and tourists.

Mind you, the upstairs bar at the Duplex is practically "mixed" these days.