Lippy

Bread

OK, this time managed an all sourdough high hydration wheat. And everything worked! Finally! This is basically the "artisan" sourdough I get in the US. OK, basically the same as what I ended up with in my last try (but less sticking and no commercial yeast.) 

BUT.

1) the loaves went rather flat when dumped out of the proofing basket*, even though I managed to shape a nice little boule. Without the dutch oven it would have been even flatter. 

2) The dutch oven helps with the rise initially, but eventually interferes with getting a good crust. I would need to experiment a bit with temps before/after lid removal. I did a lower temp than last time as that was way too high but today was too low (I raised once lid was off). I generally prefer putting the thing directly on a stone with a water pan, but I would probably end up with a pancake. 

3) Wet sourdough ferments really fast, which means the bread is more sour than what I get with "traditional" less hydration recipes. It's a style, but I'm not sure I like it so much. 

50/50 rice/wheat mix was the trick to keep them from sticking  

Have you tried the first 20 minutes in the Dutch oven, and then removing the loaf from the Dutch oven to finish its baking? Total pain in the ass to deal with working in and around the scalding Dutch oven, to be sure.

The other day I baked a super simple white flour loaf, from Nick Malgieri's How To Bake. I wanted to try something for sandwiches...

1758591197_Breadwhiteloafcut05-16.jpeg.356c46cce38bae4788cb1c037d33ec81.jpeg

And then made pain perdu with it for breakfast the following day...

43475300_Frenchtoast05-16.jpeg.f3a5d9b1817bc79a4a19e0a4db883905.jpeg

N made the KAF sourdough beer bread, using Negra Modelo beer and substituting diastatic malt for the malt flakes which we don't have.  She made it rectangular rather than round; it didn't raise super-high, but what a great tender crumb, with a slight sweetness from the malt plus some honey.

Like a madman, I continue to experiment. Friday night, I made a classic biga, even though various authors use different amounts of water and yeast for their classic bigas. One of the first bread baking books I ever bought was written by the head baker at one of my favorite Italian restaurants in San Francisco. The book was published in 1993; by that point, I'd been going to Il Fornaio, and enjoying their breads, for years...

IMG_0947.thumb.JPG.e02a9c7648e4540dfdb22eb6af81cdb1.JPG

So using the biga, I attempted a Peter Reinhart recipe from Crust and Crumb, Yeasted Multigrain Bread. As well as this recipe from The Il Fornaio Baking BookFocaccia alla Genovese, a recipe I've used quite a number of times. Herewith, the results...

537229672_Multigrainandfocaccia05-17.jpeg.f431f439a51f1f76d0acc5645db5d64d.jpeg

I overproofed the dough for the multigrain loaf, as I got sidetracked watching something on Facebook. It domed and sorta collapsed. But still...

653980777_Multigrainandfocacciacrumb05-17.jpeg.d4a9cad378f825c4d0b67e23c8de413f.jpeg

It's really tasty. The grains (for the multigrains) I was able to piece together were coarse cornmeal, rolled oats, and a little rye.

And the focaccia? Well, it's actually one of my favorite styles of focaccia, and @voyager will know it well, as it's similar to that Liguria Bakery of SF style. Delicious.

• Like 1

Behemoth and Stone: am I understanding correctly that you are cleaning out your sourdough starter vessel? I have been using the same crock for years -- unwashed -- to better grow the yeast beasties. No need to wash it every time, or ever!

When I ordered from Partybus Bakeshop a few weeks ago, I got what they sell as focaccia mix. Just add water and olive oil, etc. etc. Which I did yesterday.

There must be a fair amount of yeasties in the mix, as it rises like no one's business.  Big, puffy but not that light, as the amount of olive oils gives it a fair amount of heft.

743858115_FocacciafrommixfromPartybus05-23.jpeg.73e2b1af5e3cfa77c01bda83f831b183.jpeg

I took the photo before I brushed the crust with a little more olive oil.  Tasty, but I prefer mine made from scratch, as it has more time to develop flavor; this would've had I refrigerated the dough at some point for some amount of time.

I like yours better, too.  

Today, corona sequestration nudged our son into making his first no-knead bread.    Needless to say, he is pretty excited.

1817302558_ScreenShot2020-05-24at1_30_55PM.thumb.png.09a2d1ebe4ccd0cd7782ac95ec0d5f49.png

• Like 1

I started over Monday night. In a fancy jar I bought from Amazon. This morning, still only small bubbles. 

I started washing the jar because all the photos I’ve seen of starter jars have nice clean sides. Mine was a mess from pouring out the discard.  

7CAC5E56-EB66-482B-89AE-1A89CB62A2CA.jpeg

1098970C-EF5E-4DBA-B50F-937A95D56C2D.jpeg

N made a loaf of basic sourdough, using a combo of regular bread flour and whole-wheat flour, and then used the discard to make crackers (a KAF recipe).  The crackers will go with recently defrosted black bean hummus, left over from a batch made a couple of months ago.

12 hours ago, Stone said:

I started over Monday night. In a fancy jar I bought from Amazon. This morning, still only small bubbles. I started washing the jar because all the photos I’ve seen of starter jars have nice clean sides. Mine was a mess from pouring out the discard.  

7CAC5E56-EB66-482B-89AE-1A89CB62A2CA.jpeg

I don't necessarily see a problem. Stop washing the jars so much, keep feeding it in small quantities. And maybe use a different ratio, since equal parts isn't really the best way to feed a starter, no matter what they're saying on the interrnet these days.

Is the starter supposed to be this thin?  This sat overnight and is unfed.

Also, last night I used some discard to make pizza dough.  Mixed it with water, flour, salt and some oil.  It sat on the counter over night, but didn't seem to rise at all.  

(How do I embed the video in the post?)

It can be runny. More important, is it bubbly? If you drop a spoonful into a glass of water, it should float. Otherwise re-feed. 

It has only little bubbles and it does not float.  My sourdough days may be over.   

10 hours ago, Stone said:

It has only little bubbles and it does not float.  My sourdough days may be over.   

But what are you going to do with the special jar you bought?