Lippy

Bread

The big advantage of baking your own bagels is that you can make them the right size.  There are about 2 oz. each, as they were in my youth.  The disadvantage is aesthetic, but maybe they will be neater next time. 

1-IMG_4562.JPG

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Lippy said:

The big advantage of baking your own bagels is that you can make them the right size.  There are about 2 oz. each, as they were in my youth.  The disadvantage is aesthetic, but maybe they will be neater next time. 

Looks great. One of my standard complaints has always been about the growing bagel in order to be used, in lieu of a roll, as sandwich bread.

It's why I pretty much only buy minis. You need that crust to crumb ratio for it to be a real bagel.

Challah for Shabbat. I messed up the loaf on the left. Tried to get fancy and do a 4 strand braid which looked like crap so I re-rolled. I have a feeling that one will have a tough crumb.

4462784A-1852-4635-A58E-E218FA5C34E9_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.ae21d8af9e5ff64ac92ab33aab9d7603.jpeg

• Like 1

Beautiful baking!

I was out for a couple of miles walk earlier this week, and for the first time in months, stopped into the Essex Market to visit one vendor, and get the hell out quickly. (They've got the streets between Essex/Allen and Houston/Delancey closed to vehicular traffic until noon, so it's nice).

1857224719_PaindAvignon06-02.jpeg.a801b6e875c567716d2766ab08bc8135.jpeg

A rye bread, half of a sourdough miche and 2 Kouign-Amanns.

Nice to have a couple of "real" breads.

I made the mistake of trying again.  I started with 50/50 rye/wheat from the 4th street coop.  First two days were great.  Big bubbles.  It grew to the top of my jar.  Third day, I fed with Trader Joe’s unbleached ap flour.  I think I killed it.  I fed it again the fourth day, still nothing.  Just very lose sludge with clear liquid on top.  

On 6/11/2020 at 12:04 AM, StephanieL said:

The sourdough English muffins are great--way better than Thomas'.

Thanks for this -- just made the KAF version with unfed sourdough -- turned out great. Plus a chance to use up German 550 flour which I had ordered  too much of. Half already squirrelled away in the freezer. Egg McMuffins, I'm so stoked.  

3 hours ago, Behemoth said:

Thanks for this -- just made the KAF version with unfed sourdough -- turned out great. Plus a chance to use up German 550 flour which I had ordered  too much of. Half already squirrelled away in the freezer. Egg McMuffins, I'm so stoked.  

Hah, I made myself an "egg McMuffin" this morning!

How do I know when to switch from daily feedings to bi-daily feedings?  I had a good wheat/rye starter going with daily feedings.  But I switched to a 12-hour feeding with AP, and it went thin and runny and developed an acetone smell.  I did another feeding with wheat/rye and, it's doubled in 12 hours.  should I let it go another 12 before feeding, or feed now?  

Reason #874 why bread can be so frustrating (for me).

I wanted to do a Forkish-y overnight-y thing with a little whole wheat; like in between his overnight white and overnight 40% whole wheat. So I mixed up the dough (kinda late) at around 8:30 PM, and instead of waiting 5 or so hours to achieve ideal bulk fermentation, divided and shaped a boule after 2.5 hours, the dough barely doubled though having had its 4 turns. (The other half of the dough was also divided, into small, oiled containers to be focaccia in a day or two). Into the fridge went the boule, instead of into a well-floured banneton, but into a parchment-lined banneton, that into a large plastic bag to proof overnight. 

Instead of waiting the 12- 14 hours of proofing time in the fridge, I took the dough out at 6:30 this morning; i.e. after 7 hours proof time.

Instead of baking via the Dutch oven method, I baked the boule in the preheated, stone-lined CSO, using the bread setting at 450℉, on the stone.

1806838737_Bread25ww06-15IMG_1274.jpeg.ac0a5d73eb465126b083f48d385e2861.jpeg

Instead of the expected (by me) flat, lousy loaf (though my slashing still sucks), I got this.

1015544471_Breadcrumb06-15IMG_1284.jpeg.df265afb470a9d61c4b01f5441a38768.jpeg

Whaddya know? It tastes great, too.

52 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Let the dough tell you.

We're not speaking the same language.

10 minutes ago, Stone said:

We're not speaking the same language.

Why not take 1/2 the starter, try each method, and see which one works. Or just get over being obsessed with "starter," and try yeast.

• Thanks 1