I keep mine in the fridge.  The day before I want bread, I take it out, give it two small feedings. The second feeding typically results in doubling within 6 hours. This is the „active“ starter that I can use in the recipe. 

i think you can get away with doing this every two weeks. Longer than that you might need to do more feedings to get to a good active stage.

On the plus side, that English muffin recipe was a game changer for using up discard. The muffins can be popped into the toaster from frozen.

• Like 1
  • Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just took a challah out of the oven, the first I've ever made using bread flour. All these years, I've had the notion that bread flour would produce a heartier, heavier bread than I like, and I've

Close your eyes and think of Tuscany. 

The big advantage of baking your own bagels is that you can make them the right size.  There are about 2 oz. each, as they were in my youth.  The disadvantage is aesthetic, but maybe they will be neat

Posted Images

My first sourdough bake - discard English muffins.  Cooked on the stovetop in my carbon steel pan.  A bit uneven on the cooking, and didn't get great bubbles inside.  (I think they were a little undercooked.)  But they taste great.

I added 2 cups of flour and 1 cup milk to 1/2 cup discard last night.  it doubled by the morning.  Then added some more flour, salt, baking soda, sugar, and kneaded.  After cutting out the muffins, I let them sit about an hour before cooking.  didn't get much of a second rise in that hour.

F68A3F79-DCDF-4549-9AA6-834A4F3FA46D.jpeg

They look great! Turning down the heat may be the trick. Mine needed 10 to 12 minutes per side before the centers were done.

The KAF recipe uses yeast rather than baking soda (not needed if starter is active but mine was unfed discard.)

The starter is "active" when it's all puffed up?  About 6-8 hours after feeding?  

I found that when I did a 1:1:1 ration, my starter was very loose and didn't really grow and it smelled like acetone.  I tried a 1:1.5:.8 feed, and got a very good rise. Still doesn't smell great.

N made KAF's "do-nothing" sourdough last week and it worked like a charm.  This week, using the same recipe, the dough was very hard to work with and didn't rise much--we now have a heavy, dense, super-sour loaf.  We think it was warmer in the kitchen this time and that's what caused the issue.  It's not inedible, but I think she'll be trying another recipe on the sooner side.

• 4 weeks later...

One of my few panic-buying purchases was a 4-lb.sack of AP flour imported from South Korea, found in abundance and at a reasonable price at our local Ranch 99 supermarket.  Last night, N made sourdough flatbread that was half our old batch of AP flour (Bob's Red Mill, I think) and half the Korean flour.  To me, the bread smells like noodles, and has an odd taste that can't be just from the sourdough.  Is my palate going haywire, or is the Korean flour really just meant for noodles and would not be as appropriate for cookies, sourdough bread, etc.?

30 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

One of my few panic-buying purchases was a 4-lb.sack of AP flour imported from South Korea, found in abundance and at a reasonable price at our local Ranch 99 supermarket.  Last night, N made sourdough flatbread that was half our old batch of AP flour (Bob's Red Mill, I think) and half the Korean flour.  To me, the bread smells like noodles, and has an odd taste that can't be just from the sourdough.  Is my palate going haywire, or is the Korean flour really just meant for noodles and would not be as appropriate for cookies, sourdough bread, etc.?

Try Korean pancakes instead.