• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just took a challah out of the oven, the first I've ever made using bread flour. All these years, I've had the notion that bread flour would produce a heartier, heavier bread than I like, and I've

Best loaf yet!

Close your eyes and think of Tuscany. 

Posted Images

I made Jerusalem Sesame Bread in lieu of challah for shabbat. They get brushed with an olive oil salt mixture when they come out of the oven which gives them a pretzel-ish quality. I need some work on proofing. I could see that it was a little under-proofed when I sliced into it. I'm not sure whether it I need to go longer with the first or second rise. Suggestions anyone?

I want to try the sourdough coco bread from the recipe in the Times Magazine.  N has already ordered the "New World Sourdough" book it comes from.

In the meantime, we have a part rye/part WW bread (dense but tasty), the rest of the cinnamon-raisin bread, and English muffins, plus a good part of a sesame boule friends brought yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a pair of rustic French boules. First time using a recipe that requires a poolish. They're not as big as I would like - not sure if they didn't rise enough or if it's because I made 2 boules instead of one. Since I don't have a spray bottle, I poured boiling water into a pan at the bottom of the oven to create a moist environment. We'll cut into one tonight with dinner - fingers crossed. At least it smell s right.😄

• Like 1
On 8/21/2020 at 4:57 PM, bloviatrix said:

I made a pair of rustic French boules. First time using a recipe that requires a poolish. They're not as big as I would like - not sure if they didn't rise enough or if it's because I made 2 boules instead of one. Since I don't have a spray bottle, I poured boiling water into a pan at the bottom of the oven to create a moist environment. We'll cut into one tonight with dinner - fingers crossed. At least it smell s right.😄

They were hockey pucks. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tried to make baguettes in the CSO.    Meticulously followed King Arthur's recipe and instructions.    Except it says to make 2 "baguettes" and I knew that there was too much dough for that so I made three.    They still turned out to be "batards", not slender baguettes.    Worse, the texture is poor and flavor non-existent.   Really worse, we've three of these.    Husband said to chuck them, but there are always croutons...

Screen_Shot_2020-10-21_at_11_48.15_AM.thumb.png.49395c5711239f1e5f68bde3bfa4f3ee.png

Back to 18-hour which is much less work, certainly less clean up (no food-processor to wash) and gives us reliable crumb and slight tang.