Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just took a challah out of the oven, the first I've ever made using bread flour. All these years, I've had the notion that bread flour would produce a heartier, heavier bread than I like, and I've

Best loaf yet!

Close your eyes and think of Tuscany. 

Posted Images

5 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Do you think the problem is the CSO or the King?

Nice shine on the crust.

I'm not experienced with either bread or CSO to know.    It's  my sense that it's the recipe/process.   I am used to stretch and fold instead of simple "punch down".    I also leave my overnight dough at room temp (SF = 55-68) rather than refrigerate, so eliminate the need for bringing to room temp, however the recipe writer defines it.    This bread, besides having much too tight a crumb, lacked the tang we get with 18hour rise.    I think the oven did its job, and I confess to having very little experience with it.    Just followed directions.     Steam for 25 minutes at 100F, slash, then half hour at 400.     Your thoughts?

And, thanks Evelyn.    Should make excellent crumbs, and tonite was fine as garlic bread to accompany soup.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, voyager said:

I'm not experienced with either bread or CSO to know.    It's  my sense that it's the recipe/process.   I am used to stretch and fold instead of simple "punch down".    I also leave my overnight dough at room temp (SF = 55-68) rather than refrigerate, so eliminate the need for bringing to room temp, however the recipe writer defines it.    This bread, besides having much too tight a crumb, lacked the tang we get with 18hour rise.    I think the oven did its job, and I confess to having very little experience with it.    Just followed directions.     Steam for 25 minutes at 100F, slash, then half hour at 400.     Your thoughts?

 

I have none.

I've had success baking breads in the CSO, using it like I would use my regular oven, with the advantage of having steam available at the beginning of the bake.  But I've never made baguettes in any oven. My slashing technique sucks. And I have a few good bakeries near me, so...

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

I have none.

I've had success baking breads in the CSO, using it like I would use my regular oven, with the advantage of having steam available at the beginning of the bake.  But I've never made baguettes in any oven. My slashing technique sucks. And I have a few good bakeries near me, so...

Well, see, that’s the point.   There is no decent bread once you’re east of Berkeley, and being able to have good baguettes in the country would be a joy.    May work on it.   Or may hang it up and eat tortillas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, voyager said:

Well, see, that’s the point.   There is no decent bread once you’re east of Berkeley, and being able to have good baguettes in the country would be a joy.    May work on it.   Or may hang it up and eat tortillas.

Can you provide a link to recipe?

My successes have been with boules and breads made in loaf pan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

Can you provide a link to recipe?

My successes have been with boules and breads made in loaf pan.

I mis-spoke.   It was a Cuisinart recipe,  not King Arthur.   

eta, I should have been forewarned.    My loaves looked a lot like the sliced one in the link.   NOT what I was after.   Think I will use a much higher hydration formula and do some stretches and folding.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, voyager said:

I mis-spoke.   It was a Cuisinart recipe,  not King Arthur.   

eta, I should have been forewarned.    My loaves looked a lot like the sliced one in the link.   NOT what I was after.   Think I will use a much higher hydration formula and do some stretches and folding.  

Operator error!!

Nowadays, I always assume the term "punch down" actually means fold gently.

Wouldn't it be nice if they used weights? Your 3 cups of flour and my 3 cups of flour could have a difference of many grams.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't even imagine baguette shaping, and I have that thing which helps shape and keep their shape.

But some cuisinart recipes are OK...these 2 non-baguette breads were made with the processor and baked in the CSO...

1992630753_2014_01BreadinCuisinart.thumb.JPG.8acf32309e9d6a25a536c908ee77a87a.JPG

1284491375_Bread-Cuisinartsameday04-05IMG_0485.jpeg.c11bf98529ecb9e827a44c24c407bb6a.jpeg

As I said, slashing technique sucks.  

Recipes from the Cuisinart Processor book, not the CSO booklet if there is one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...