• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just took a challah out of the oven, the first I've ever made using bread flour. All these years, I've had the notion that bread flour would produce a heartier, heavier bread than I like, and I've

Best loaf yet!

Bagels boiled in lye solution. Getting there...

Posted Images

Doughs with high water content tend to do that, at least the ones I’ve tried. I keep it in the proofing basket right until I flip it into the Dutch oven. 

Do you flour the proofing basket like crazy? I'm about to use a glass bowl as one, and the last time I tried that the dough really stuck. I'm making Forkish Saturday White Bread for the first time, only with AP flour because I like to live dangerously. And I have no whole wheat flour.

Yeah. Oil. Bowl. For the lightest coating, spray.

Rice flour is probably better in proofing baskets, but I think unless you're baking bread daily or a couple of times a week, proofing baskets can be annoying. My breads always stuck. Until I stopped making bread. Unless it's flat.

2 hours ago, small h said:

I'm making Forkish Saturday White Bread for the first time, only with AP flour because I like to live dangerously.

Strangely, I made Forkish same-day pizza today and we had for dinner - was really good!

It's proofing in the fridge now, in an oiled bowl covered with oiled plastic wrap. I don't have a Dutch oven (which is what the recipe calls for) so I'll just bake it on my steel and hope for the best. The dough is alarmingly soft, which I hope is right.

Roberta's pizza dough recipe is my favorite, that I've tried. This is my first time making a Forkish recipe, 'cause they're almost non-existent online and I resist buying more stuff, like books. The apartment is full (and I wish I could convince cohabitant of this).

7 hours ago, small h said:

I don't have a Dutch oven (which is what the recipe calls for) so I'll just bake it on my steel and hope for the best. The dough is alarmingly soft, which I hope is right.

This might be trouble, so don't be aggravated if you get a kind of flatter bread, without a Dutch oven for support of the loaf. The dough should firm up after a night in the fridge.

7 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

This might be trouble, so don't be aggravated if you get a kind of flatter bread, without a Dutch oven for support of the loaf. The dough should firm up after a night in the fridge.

I am not displeased. Oiling the bowl worked very well, but the dough did spread out quite a bit, despite going straight from fridge to oven. It puffed back up some in the oven. I'd make a few changes for next time, probably half bread flour instead of all AP, since the crumb is softer than I like. Proof the dough seam side up so I only have to flip it once from bowl to pizza peel (that's my counter-to-oven conveyance). And maybe shave 5:00 off the bake time, which was 30:00. It's a little dark.

bread.jpg

• Like 1