I finally figured out the angle to start the slashes with the lame! I've really been struggling with this. Loaf is finally rising properly in the oven. Fingers crossed!

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just took a challah out of the oven, the first I've ever made using bread flour. All these years, I've had the notion that bread flour would produce a heartier, heavier bread than I like, and I've

Best loaf yet!

Bagels boiled in lye solution. Getting there...

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Easter bread, one day late.   N made an enriched dough and added cinnamon and lots of dried fruit to the first rise, then made Bird's custard and added that to the second rise.  A basic confectioner's sugar glaze was added after it was out of the oven and cooled.  It's a huge thing for two people.

There's a custom to make a challah in the shape of a key for the Shabbat immediately following Passover (the other option is to stick a key into a regular braided loaf, but where's the fun in that?) I have to say that all of my bread baking the past year is really paying off - I'm better at reading the dough and recognizing when it needs more flour during kneading. I think this was the best challah I've ever made! May I present to you Schlissel Challah.

IMG_0638.jpeg

• Like 1

Well conceived and executed!     You bring up a good point.    Bread making requires a lot of recognition and response.   You can't just follow a recipe.    Again,  well done.

Recently I've baked these beetroot buns as I have been involved into a challenge re Buns.

I wanted to make something fancy, thus I went for these little beetrot buns. At first I was quite puzzled by the colour of the dough, I thought I had made a huge big babol gum 😁

But they turned out very good! 🤤

Beetroot dough.jpg

Beetroot Bun.jpg

Buns pronti.jpg

2 hours ago, My Pinch of Italy said:

Splendid. What kind of flour did you use?

I use King Arthur Bread Flour with a touch of a whole wheat bread flour that I buy at the green market in my poolish.

• Like 1