• 1 month later...
  • Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just took a challah out of the oven, the first I've ever made using bread flour. All these years, I've had the notion that bread flour would produce a heartier, heavier bread than I like, and I've

Best loaf yet!

Bagels boiled in lye solution. Getting there...

Posted Images

So I went to Zahav this weekend and now want to figure out how to make the laffa bread they serve. Googling suggests its a Pita dough, but I saw how it handled (we were at the pass) and the big bubbles it formed and so I don't think it is. 

Anyone have anythoughts? Or is it just my pita sucks?  Figure I'll cook it in the Ooni.

Just now, Anthony Bonner said:

So I went to Zahav this weekend and now want to figure out how to make the laffa bread they serve. Googling suggests its a Pita dough, but I saw how it handled (we were at the pass) and the big bubbles it formed and so I don't think it is. 

Anyone have anythoughts? Or is it just my pita sucks?  Figure I'll cook it in the Ooni.

There's a recipe in the Zahav cookbook. Maybe start there? It's the same exact recipe as the pita but different technique for handling.

8 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

The pita recipes are meant for home ovens and home skills. If you bake in a pizza oven (I assume they do something like that at Zahav?) then I guess you can increase hydration substantially to promote bubbles, no? 

Some Iraqi recipes I have call for adding baking soda on top of the yeast but I guess that's just for fluffiness and not big bubbles. Hydration varies widely - one recipe goes as high as 100% (e.g. in the Nawal Nasrallah book) but most of them are at 60-70%

Hydration and gluten formation sure. Guess I was wondering if they was some truck on the gluten side as they were going in the oven rolled/stretched out just short of translucent. Baking soda w/o an acid will also promote browning which probably let's you pull it out with the insides a bit softer. Assuming a sufficient quantity.

They were using a wood fired pizza oven

Have you been noticing the heat being stronger in the back of the Ooni?  That's what I'm seeing on other forums with people making pizza - needs rotation?  I only make pizza vicariously with Ooni owners.

10 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

yes - absolutely. I had to buy a metal peel that would allow me to get under a pie and give it a few turns as it cooks. 

Husband made a brilliant tool for accomplishing pizza turns...a cup hook screwed into a broom handle, or dowel if you find yourself short of excess broom handles.    It's absolutely my go-to for turning pizzas in the oven, far easier and faster than our metal peel.  You just jab the edge of the pizza and give it a swirl.   Done.

• 4 weeks later...

N's sourdough starter decided not to cooperate, and this week's loaf didn't rise at all.  Good taste, leaden texture (the loaf could have been a weapon).  Acme Bread for us this week and a different recipe when that's done.

I've always been charmed by the crackling sounds made by the crusts' contracting on bread hot from the oven.    Yesterday's was so loud that I tried to video it, but can't transfer that large a clip to a post.   But trust me, this loaf sounded like an ak47.    This is a screen shot, not a video.

520946603_ScreenShot2021-07-27at1_00_15PM.thumb.png.f6e6d12b4763cf26a3407377c966eebf.png

16 minutes ago, voyager said:

I've always been charmed by the crackling sounds made by the crusts' contracting on bread hot from the oven.    Yesterday's was so loud that I tried to video it...

I also enjoy listening to the bread talk, so once I recorded a voice memo of it on my phone. Weeks or months later, I listened to it, and it took me quite a while to figure out what the hell it was. Moral: label everything.

• 1 month later...