• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just took a challah out of the oven, the first I've ever made using bread flour. All these years, I've had the notion that bread flour would produce a heartier, heavier bread than I like, and I've

Best loaf yet!

Close your eyes and think of Tuscany. 

Posted Images

He surrounded two helpings of sausage and vodka/tomato/cream pasta, 4 slices of bread and took home the rest of the pasta, bread, 1/3 of a cherry pie, jar of lemon curd and of freshly ground parmesan.    We're both uncritical.

• 1 month later...

Cheater bread.    Not sourdough, not kneaded, very little effort on my part.    But, guess we're not critical, this sang.   Cut improperly warm, so butter melted.    Eat your heart out, Poilane.

1681523920_ScreenShot2021-10-10at3_28_16PM.thumb.png.164d570d3114ff71ea82868530d270c5.png

My continued and eternal gratitude to Lippy.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, small h said:

I need to figure out how to get a nice hard crust like it looks like you did. It has eluded me thus far. I spritz my dough with water, to little avail.

Bake in a cast iron Dutch oven.    As I said, "cheater bread" but beats most local boulangeries.  

10 hours ago, small h said:

I guess I need to get a Dutch oven. But the apartment is full! So I have to jettison something in order to make room for it (gives co-habitant the side-eye).

I have found a 4.5 - 5.5 Qt. size works perfectly for the boule. Lodge is good and inexpensive. Might even be able to find one on eBay or similar.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, small h said:

I saw those on Amazon, and I found a place for it on top of the fridge. I think it's too heavy for my pull-out shelves. Welp, looks like I'm getting a Dutch oven.

At the price of remotely comparable bread, it will pay for itself in short order.    And man doesn't live by bread alone.   Yesterday I used a DO for a  3 pound chunk of corned beef.   

Furthermore, if you're really in the club you'll realize that there is ALWAYS room in your apartment if not kitchen for a new (fill in the blank).    Not a candidate for Architectural Digest, my kitchen is infinitely elastic.